Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

Help. Electrical gremlins jku

Old 07-20-2024, 02:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help. Electrical gremlins jku

Had a new kenwood ddx5707s touchscreen head until professionally installed in my 2013 jku. Also added amp and sub. Everything worked great for about 4 months. Now radio will randomly decide to cut on and off

Already bought new head until to rule that out no change
once it goes off the only way to get it back on is to pull the radio fuse out of the power distribution block for a few seconds then replace. Might work 3 days might work 30 minutes.
have changed negative terminal with a much better one have positive terminal to change out. Help!!! I'm to the point of trading my jeep because I can't figure it out

Old 07-20-2024, 05:48 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

I've run across electronic devices that lockup with low voltage spikes. Rather than re-boot, or better yet, simply function and ride out momentary under-voltage; they lockup and require a power off reset to reboot.

Here's some potential fixes:
  1. Intermittent bad connections -- Easy to write, hard to find. "Professional Installers" are often not that well trained.
  2. Add a capacitor across the constant 12v and neg/ground.
  3. Ditch the current stereo head unit for a totally different design/brand that hopefully isn't so picky about electrical noise. And it is possible this is a component or design flaw that both of the identical head units have.
Old 07-20-2024, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mr.T
I've run across electronic devices that lockup with low voltage spikes. Rather than re-boot, or better yet, simply function and ride out momentary under-voltage; they lockup and require a power off reset to reboot.

Here's some potential fixes:
  1. Intermittent bad connections -- Easy to write, hard to find. "Professional Installers" are often not that well trained.
  2. Add a capacitor across the constant 12v and neg/ground.
  3. Ditch the current stereo head unit for a totally different design/brand that hopefully isn't so picky about electrical noise. And it is possible this is a component or design flaw that both of the identical head units have.
when you say add a capacitor what exactly are you meaning ?
Old 07-20-2024, 06:09 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Sasquatch1525
when you say add a capacitor what exactly are you meaning ?
Connecting an electrolytic capacitor (>100 mfd with a voltage rating >25v), which has two leads (plus and minus), to the 12v power at the head unit.

Old 07-20-2024, 06:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mr.T
Connecting an electrolytic capacitor (>100 mfd with a voltage rating >25v), which has two leads (plus and minus), to the 12v power at the head unit.
OK thanks. I've used capacitors for my amp in the past never for the radio so I was confused

Quick Reply: Help. Electrical gremlins jku