Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

STRONG gas smell from vents

Old 07-16-2024, 06:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default STRONG gas smell from vents

Hello. I'm still hunting down minor things after my motor was replaced. One of them is a horrible smell of gas at times; usually on start up and acceleration. It's strong, STRONG, makes me nauseous after a while. I cannot visually see anything leaking. The fuel supply line at the rear of the motor blew off a month ago and I properly fastened that. My MPGs are fine. It idles fine. Not burning fuel.

I've looked at older threads and this seems to be a rather tough issue to find, or at least easily find.

Any suggestions on where to start?
Old 07-16-2024, 07:08 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,910 Likes on 1,673 Posts

well, the first thing that I think about in regard to something like this is how little gas it takes to smell like there's a huge spill, and it's very little. given that the fuel supply line "flew off" before that is where i'd be starting. The plus side here is there is very little in regard to fuel lines running up into the engine bay and the the fuel rail and injectors. possible you could have a bad o-ring on an injector considering this motor was replaced. I bet you could smell something like that without seeing any actual leak, though I've never experienced it myself.
The following users liked this post:
fowlken8 (07-16-2024)
Old 07-16-2024, 07:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
well, the first thing that I think about in regard to something like this is how little gas it takes to smell like there's a huge spill, and it's very little. given that the fuel supply line "flew off" before that is where i'd be starting. The plus side here is there is very little in regard to fuel lines running up into the engine bay and the the fuel rail and injectors. possible you could have a bad o-ring on an injector considering this motor was replaced. I bet you could smell something like that without seeing any actual leak, though I've never experienced it myself.
first off, thank you for always responding to my questions, I appreciate it. Yeah, gas just smells strong, and this is definitely strong haha I keep an eye on the fuel supply line and it looks fine but I'll have to really get in there I suppose. How do you inspect the o-rings on the injectors?
Old 07-16-2024, 08:34 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,910 Likes on 1,673 Posts

I've never had an injector or o-ring issue myself, but I had a friend that pulled his fuel rails before he realized he didn't need to in order to access the oil cooler. upon reassembly he nicked an o-ring and didn't realize it till things were back together. He said yup, put back together, drove down the street to Sonic and smelled fuel really bad. Though, he said when he inspected he could see fuel leaking out there at the injector. I think i'd just be taking a real close look at things with the engine running....flashlight, little mirror and trying to get good inspection. Considering the engine was replaced this sort of thing seems like a possibility.

Quick Reply: STRONG gas smell from vents