Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2017 JKU Auto Shifting

Old 07-05-2024, 03:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 JKU Auto Shifting

Hello,

I have noticed that my 2017 JKU Auto that is completely stock has been staying in low rpm and lugging a bit. I talked to my wife and found out that she had accidentally put it in manual mode at about 45ish mph and then came to a stop without changing gears. She said it did a hard jolt and went back into normal auto shifting.

Does anyone know if this would cause this issue? When I am driving it now it likes to start around 1200 rpm and work its way up with a not-so-happy engine.

Thank you!
Old 07-05-2024, 06:42 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,634 Posts

When in manual mode, if you slow down and come to a stop it downshifts for you, but it won't upshift again as you take back off. If it did not downshift at all when coming to a stop that seems abnormal (on the original occurrence). If that is the case, I would say that is not the cause of the shifting that you are now asking about, but more a related symptom. Whatever caused the original shift issue is still affecting it. If you put it in manual mode right now and come to a stop does it downshift to 1st like it should, and then you have to manually upshift as you accelerate again?

Do you have Jscan or anything that can read tranny codes? is there anything logged in the system? if you don't have access to a reader, i'd probably start by disconnecting the battery for 30 or 60 minutes and attempt to reset things and then continue troubleshooting.

Quick Reply: 2017 JKU Auto Shifting