Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hard steering and no return to center

Old 07-02-2024, 04:21 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard steering and no return to center

2016 JKU all stock, no mods in suspension or steering.
A few months ago I noticed it was getting harder to turn it got worse and to the point where it would not return to center.
If I go around a roundabout I can start the turn and let go of the wheel and it will keep going in the turn.
I notice 1 ball joint was rusty and missing the dust cap so I replaced all 4 ball joints.
When I had the jeep on jack stand with it running at about the 11 am 1 position it starts to get hard to turn and there is some play between there.
Removed steering stabilizer and that made no difference.
After ball joint replacement with tie rod ends off both sides turn side to side easily.
One person told me to try high pressure power steering line as that was was his issue. I replaced the line and no change.
Power steering pump works and makes no noise.
I am thinking Steering gear.
What do you all think?
If it is the Steering gear, what is a good one to go with?
Old 07-03-2024, 02:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 380 Likes on 355 Posts

Welcome to JK Forum. It appears you have covered all the other possibles.. What is the mileage on your ride? Steering Gear IMO I would go with a reputable Reman unit with a good warranty; if Mopar has a reman unit that would be a top choice.
Old Today, 05:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It has 108,000 on it. I was thinking about going with the Redhead steering gear.

Quick Reply: Hard steering and no return to center