Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2011 JK Intermittent Starting Issue

Old 07-01-2024, 04:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2011 JK Intermittent Starting Issue

My manual trans JK w 152k sometimes doesn't start right. To be clear this is intermittent, but starting to be kind of consistent in the mornings on cold starts. I put the clutch in and turn the key - all these next things are continuous while clutch is in and the key js steady in the start position: starter gets the signal for a split second, but gets interrupted before the motor starts Starts again. Interrupted. Starts. Interrupted. There's usually a pretty noisy CLaCK which, I assume is just the weight of the flywheel having its way with the starter. The motor won't catch.

If i wait a few seconds and try again, it may do the same thing again, or it may start up perfectly. It may be coincidence but it kind of seems like when I push the clutch in real hard it tends to start better, which leads me to believe the master cylinder might be the culprit - but it's new.

I have replaced the clutch master cylinder, the slave cylinder. The starter. And I just got a new clutch. Lines are well bled by me. The mechanic that just did the clutch, bled them again,

Next stop, replacing the ignition switch.

Any other things I can check?
​​​​​​Thanks for the help.

Last edited by crocktopus; 07-01-2024 at 05:07 PM.
Old Today, 07:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

BATTERY BATTERY BATTERY
I went through a litany of similar issues and the battery showed good on a volt meter. Eventually the stealership pulled the battery and ran a 24 hour bench test and bingo, for some reason which is beyond my paygrade, the battery would show 12 VOLTS, but would not hold amperage, so they told me. I put in an expensive but worth every penny YELLOW TOP and have not looked back

Quick Reply: 2011 JK Intermittent Starting Issue