Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Rubbing/grinding sound at idle speed

Old 06-28-2024, 08:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubbing/grinding sound at idle speed

Hey all. Looking for suggestions for the most likely culprit of a rhythmic rubbing (grinding) sound I just started getting a week or two ago at low speeds. I originally thought this was from the beater tires I have on the front (off balance, cupping, etc) but I'm getting it at VERY low speeds, like uphill idle speeds. I'm now thinking it's coming from the CV joint, but I don't see any tears or grease coming from it, so a list of what you would check, and what to check for, as most likely cause would be awesome.

I installed a 3" levelling kit, 35" tires onto the Willys factory wheels, and 1.5" wheel spacers in 3/2023. After getting tired of the "flighty" feeling at high speeds, I finally did the geometry correction brackets for front control arms and rear track bar last month. Could it be that the control arm bracket is creating too hard of an angle for the factory CV joint? I already have the rzeppa in my Amazon cart, just in case.
Old 06-28-2024, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

I would put the front on some jack stands and turn the wheels by hand. Listen for and slight noise.
The following users liked this post:
FrickrFrackr (06-28-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 09:43 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sv_dude
I would put the front on some jack stands and turn the wheels by hand. Listen for and slight noise.
(Love the Avatar SV) I did this this past weekend when I was replacing the front rotors and pads (and cleaned up and painted the front shocks), but I didn't hear anything. I also wasn’t specifically looking for this sound at the time either

Last edited by FrickrFrackr; 06-28-2024 at 09:50 AM.
Old 06-28-2024, 09:55 AM
JK Newbie

Old 06-28-2024, 10:22 AM
JK Newbie

Here’s the flipped videos, and another noise I discovered while recording the CV joint

Old 06-28-2024, 10:28 AM
JK Newbie

Quick Reply: Rubbing/grinding sound at idle speed