Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

New to forum, but not new to my beloved JK

Old 06-26-2024, 07:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to forum, but not new to my beloved JK

Hi everyone,

New to the forum here. Thought I would introduce myself. I'm a long time JK driver and probably not a typical wrangler owner. I absolutely love the JK platform and the wrangler for the functionality of what it gives me.

I drive a 2013 Sahara unlimited. I bought it off a friend of mine back in 2018. I was looking at new vehicles back then and was turned off by all the annoying flashy technology in the vehicles. I don't need a vehicle that disables my ABS, traction control and 15 other systems when my rear left turn light goes dark (okay, maybe a slight exaggeration). This point of view was strengthened when my wife (now ex) purchased a 2018 subaru. Absolute nanny vehicle. Apparently on curvy roads, I wander over the line on the shoulder alot. And who decided I need to be notified when the car in front of me in the drive through pulled forward! I'm not anti-tech anywhere except in my vehicles. Less tech the better.

So the new to me 2013 JK had the three tech features I need. 1) Remote start 2) Heated seats 3) Bluetooth. I actually started looking at used vehicles in 2018 so I could get less features. I wanted something that was easy to maintain, going to last me to 300k miles, and has less stuff to break. Turns out this 2013 JK was (and still is) the ticket. Maybe I'm lucky. I also bought it because I like the ability to be able to do my own maintenance on this platform. I knew when buying it, the JK probably has the most robust crowd/community knowledge and aftermarket support of probably any vehicle ever produced.

I don't accessorize the JK. To each his or her own, but my JK is there to get me in and out of the northern Michigan woods reliably. I love driving off the beaten path and exploring and then backpacking and camping when the roads end. Really the only accessories I need to accomplish that are my flush mount rock guards and my good set of tires. I have gotten out of some really sticky situations with the jeep. At least, sticky in my style of driving. Usually this happens in late November when the back forest roads are still warm, but the snow turns everything to mush.

To that end, my reason for joining the forum is twofold.

1) I'm going to begin my journey on learning how to maintain and service my JK in my driveway/garage. As that was my eventual plan when I purchased it.

2) I'm adding a new accessory to my JK. One that will allow me to satisfy my wanderlust longer into the start of winter. And that's a towable travel trailer. Looking to upgrade and install components on my jeep that will allow me to tow easier and safer while, of course, staying within the manufactures tow ratings.

If you made it this far, you are my new JK forum best friend. Happy to be here!
The following users liked this post:
50 shades (06-27-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 12:39 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,627 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself! I love my JK for many of the same reasons you mention above, and I plan on keeping it for life! The newer vehicles are just getting way to complicated and bedazzled with too many features that are 1) not necessary, and 2) bound to break. My sister has a new Bronco and I just look at that and all the electronics and think those things are going to be a disaster to own in 10 years. The JK platform was pretty dang close to perfect for me. My '13 JKU has brought a ton of smiles over the last 11 years!

** I always promote people working on their own rigs and am always happy to help with advise, as are several others here.
dimner (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 378 Likes on 353 Posts

Welcome to JK Forum.. "Ditto" on JKUs or JKs.. A JEEP Guy all the way here.
dimner (Yesterday)

Quick Reply: New to forum, but not new to my beloved JK