Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Tire Pressure Sensors? JK & JL compatible?

Old 06-25-2024, 07:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Pressure Sensors? JK & JL compatible?

I have a 2012 JK Sport 2-door. The tire pressure monitor system worked with the stock wheels. I recently got a set of rims that came off of a JL & installed them. Now my tire pressure light is on. The pressure in the old tires measure 34-35psi. The new tires measure 35-36psi.

I went back to the shop that put the tires on the new rims to ask if sensors had been put in or not. I was told that the sensors that were on them had been used again, but since it was a newer generation of rim, the sensors were likely not compatible.

I just looked up new sensors. The ones that I found claim to be for JK or JL.

So my first question is -
Do JL tire pressure sensors work with a 2012 tire pressure monitoring system on a JK Sport?

My second question is -
What is the best way to troubleshoot this system?

Thanks in advance.
Jim
Old 06-28-2024, 12:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It appears that at some time after 2012 the frequency of the tire pressure sensors was changed to 433mhz & that is not compatible with the system in my Jeep. It would seem that I need new sensors if I want the TPMS to work. A guy at a tire shop said that the aftermarket ones often don't work correctly. He recommended pulling the old sensors off of my new rims & moving them to my new rims. That seemed like a lot of work.

I see that there are systems available where you screw on a set of valve stem caps with sensors in them, & then plug a display unit into a cigarette lighter power point. That entire system costs less than a single factory sensor. As is often the case, dealership pricing seems abusive.

Edit:
I'm now wondering if there are 315Mhz sensors that can screw on the valve stems in place of the caps. That would seem to be the easiest way to get the factory TPMS system back on line again & clear the last light off my dash board.

2007-2012 315Mhz, 2013 started 433Mhz

Last edited by JimWPB; Today at 02:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Sensors? JK & JL compatible?