Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!
View Poll Results: Can I flat tow with Xrc front bumper or do I need to buy base plate?
Use Xrc bumper
0%
But base plate attachment
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Flat towing jeep?

Old 06-19-2024, 05:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat towing jeep?

I just bought a Jeep wrangler sport to tow behind my rv. It has a smittybilt Xrc front bumper and winch. Can I use the attached D rings to tow? Or do I need a new bumper or base plate? Any help would be appreciated as this is my first Jeep.
Old 06-20-2024, 03:48 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,627 Posts

I used to do this. I was fine towing from those D-rings, but you need to keep in mind you are yanking that weight and relying on a Chinese product with Chinese welds. I used a Blue Ox tow bar adapter, which at the time used, I think, a 7/8" pin to connect. The bigger issue was finding a good place to hook safety cables. I'd suggest welding something to the frame rail to use with the safety cables so that your not putting all your safety "eggs" in 1 basket
Old 06-24-2024, 10:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the same bumper on my Jeep. I have flat towed it behind my 25' RV quite a bit using a harbor freight tow bar. The only issue I had was adjusting the hitch to keep the tow bar level. That took a little work. It tows fine. I have a set of brake/turn signal lights that are magnetic and plug into the RV tow light 4 pin plug.
Old 06-25-2024, 10:43 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, flat towing is awesome. Makes road trips so much easier.
Old 06-26-2024, 07:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

don't risk it. Get a Blue Ox installed and in many states you also need an auxiliary brake system IN the Jeep. Not only a legal requirement but you will have much better control as well. Specially useful going down big hills when you can manually apply brakes to your Jeep.
I tow a JKU Sahara behind a 36 foot E350 C class and it is no problem is set up correctly which is easy enough to do

Quick Reply: Flat towing jeep?