Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Not a fan of the top off Jeep life

Old 04-19-2024, 04:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Not a fan of the top off Jeep life

I'm still very new to the Jeep world, so perhaps it will take some getting used to or maybe it's just a personal preference. My family has been so eager to take the top off and drive around. We've finally got some warmer weather and took the freedom panels off for an outing and then tried the entire top off as well. None of us really cared for it. That constant wind in the face was annoying and it was SO loud.

Anyone else agree or is this simply something to get used to?
Old 04-19-2024, 07:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise & Wind

In addition to my JKU, I'm a lifelong Harley~Davidson rider. My bike is loud. Way louder than any jeep. And I have way more wind in my face than you'll get on a roofless jeep. So I guess I'm a bit jaded when I say, if you don't want noise or wind, why do you have a jeep ? Get a nice Prius or Kia Soul. Quiet. Roll the windows up. Put the Sirius radio on the opera channel. I suppose I am severely biased and I apologize if I hurt your feelings. But to me, that's like saying you can't take your jeep on anything but a smooth paved road because it might get dirty.
Old 04-19-2024, 07:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't stand having my top and doors on. But I live in Florida and it's always top and doors off weather.
Old 04-19-2024, 09:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Nolacenturion
In addition to my JKU, I'm a lifelong Harley~Davidson rider. My bike is loud. Way louder than any jeep. And I have way more wind in my face than you'll get on a roofless jeep. So I guess I'm a bit jaded when I say, if you don't want noise or wind, why do you have a jeep ? Get a nice Prius or Kia Soul. Quiet. Roll the windows up. Put the Sirius radio on the opera channel. I suppose I am severely biased and I apologize if I hurt your feelings. But to me, that's like saying you can't take your jeep on anything but a smooth paved road because it might get dirty.
I raced motorcycles and have been a competitive cyclist for years. Im also used to wind and noise. I was simply saying I didn't love it with the Jeep (so far). I got a Jeep because I love how they look and always wanted one, and that's enough reason to get one in my opinion. Not hurting my feelings one bit, but I find it presumptuous to say I should get a Prius and listen opera simply because I haven't initially liked the top off.

Last edited by NickarendPDX; 04-19-2024 at 10:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
NoGaBiker (06-05-2024)
Old 04-19-2024, 09:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, it’s loud and windy, but unless it’s horribly hot or cold I love the freedom of going topless. I ran my TJ either with a bikini or completely topless, most of the time without doors (but the half doors were nice, too). If you do a lot of freeway driving it does get a little tiring, but the TJ wasn’t my daily driver for the last few years I owned it, and wheeling without the top was so much more enjoyable for me. My wife and I did a lot of topless evening/night rides, and being able to look up at the stars made for a relaxing drive.

I have a hardtop now with the freedom panels and it just doesn’t have the same feel, but it’s still better than driving a Prius.
Old 04-19-2024, 09:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DanB13JKU
Yes, it’s loud and windy, but unless it’s horribly hot or cold I love the freedom of going topless. I ran my TJ either with a bikini or completely topless, most of the time without doors (but the half doors were nice, too). If you do a lot of freeway driving it does get a little tiring, but the TJ wasn’t my daily driver for the last few years I owned it, and wheeling without the top was so much more enjoyable for me. My wife and I did a lot of topless evening/night rides, and being able to look up at the stars made for a relaxing drive.

I have a hardtop now with the freedom panels and it just doesn’t have the same feel, but it’s still better than driving a Prius.
I think that was the issue for us. We did mainly all freeway driving getting to and from our destination. I can see how trail or adventure riding with the top off would be a different story!
Old 04-20-2024, 04:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 404 Likes on 379 Posts

You know, you could try putting the Freedom top panels (if a hard top rig) back on with the rest of the top removed.. I have read of many driving that way on other forums. I run a "sunrider" in place of those panels = open when I want / close quickly.
Old 04-20-2024, 07:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jay2013jk
You know, you could try putting the Freedom top panels (if a hard top rig) back on with the rest of the top removed.. I have read of many driving that way on other forums. I run a "sunrider" in place of those panels = open when I want / close quickly.
Yes, I have a hardtop. And that might be a great option! Thank you
Old 04-20-2024, 10:24 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Well, I'm the opposite. I hate having any top on and am topless at least 3/4 of the year I'd say. I have a hard top and it's on/off in just a few minutes with a good lift. I use a spiderweb shade when topless cuz the sun is brutal here in DFW. I will say this, it isn't fun sitting in back with the top off, but it's not fun sitting in back period. These things aren't great family rigs IMO. Most the time it's just me or maybe someone in the passenger seat. I don't find it loud and noisy at all, but I'd imagine my screen on top cuts out a little of the wind. Now, top AND doors off, that can get pretty harsh on the interstate.
The following users liked this post:
Rescue303 (04-20-2024)
Old 06-05-2024, 05:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I’ve had my softtop down twice in 10 years (last month) of owning my 2014. But I replace the full doors with 1/2 doors and the top with a bikini every March till October. Sucks on the freeway, very fun the rest of the time. But you don’t have the sun beating down on you (I’m in Atlanta). And I keep the soft uppers in back so I can throw them on if it starts to rain. I don’t stay dry, per se, but I get less wet that way.

And when trail running or rock crawling, it’s the only way to go as far as I’m concerned.

Quick Reply: Not a fan of the top off Jeep life