Notices
Stock JL Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JL Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

ight rear wheel lug studs were brittle and sheared off

Old 08-03-2023, 08:46 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ight rear wheel lug studs were brittle and sheared off

Driving 70 miles down the interstate, with no warning other than a sudden pop, the right wheel became disabled, causing all kinds of damage to the car. This is a 2009 Jeep Wrangler and yes it is old, but we keep it well-maintained. We had just completed a 5000-mile journey and had it inspected by the Jeep dealership prior. They found no issues. Upon inspection after the incident, the only information I can get from the Jeep dealership is "right rear lug studs were brittle and sheared off which then created a domino effect on other parts failing/breaking". Should I be concerned with the other 3 tires? I asked and got the answer the mechanic crawled under the car and looked around. Also I have a powertrain warranty, would this happen to be covered?
Old 08-07-2023, 06:09 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,887 Likes on 1,651 Posts

A mechanic getting under it and looking around is not going to spot any wheel stud issues. I've broken several wheel studs. if it were my jeep, I'd replace all studs on the other three corners as well.
Old 07-11-2024, 12:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Agree that the studs might need replacing. But can you rule out that you didn't have the lugs tightened down to specs? I had a similar situation on my JK left front tire where the nuts came loose while on a trip and fortunately two of them jammed sufficiently that the wheel didn't come off. So, it wasn't brittle lug nuts; it's that they weren't torqued down sufficiently

Quick Reply: ight rear wheel lug studs were brittle and sheared off