Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ABS/traction control issue

Old 11-14-2022, 09:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ABS/traction control issue

After putting Currie 60's under it I had the brakes and traction control tapping the brakes non stop on pavement. The wheel was off center enough it though I was sliding I guess. Centered the wheel and seemed to fix it. But it reared its ugly head on the way home from a trail. On a winding paved road it hits traction control on the corners again. I turned traction control off with the switch. Still did it. Someone told me to try cruise control and see if it worked proper. Might show a wheel sensor not right I think he said. Cruise works fine. Don't have issue around town but hilly and winding is pretty annoying to travel. Where should I look next?

Thanks
Old 11-14-2022, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

Do you have an OBDII adapter so you can pull any codes? If so, post the codes.
Old 11-14-2022, 05:17 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

My experience with chasing ABS has been that the quick intermittent flashes of ABS don't throw a code.....until it gets bad enough to make that ABS light stay on, at which point it throws an ABS and tranny code and typically throws you into limp mode. If your cruise control is working then you aren't throwing a code yet....otherwise I think that is the point it cuts out. I chased an ABS issue for a decent while till I figured out it was the dang inner bearings on my hub conversion. I had to look back at your build thread....I was thinking bearings could be a potential idea with D60s, but you are using the factory unit bearings which are pretty decent as far as wear. If you weren't still using those front dust sheilds it would be easy to pop the front ABS sensors out and just take a quick look at em for any signs of tone ring hitting one. You might just pull the rears and inspect. I have to think you got that steering wheel straight after addressing that.

something like this most often comes back to one of the actual sensors. I have seen it as a broken wire to one of the sensors and that was a pain to troubleshoot, and have also seen a few issues at the module, but that seems much more rare.
Old 11-16-2022, 03:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the tips. Looks like I just keep an eye on it until its a bigger issue. I did Terminator and Judgement day in Table Mesa AZ yesterday and drove 50 miles of highway there and home and had no issues. It seems to be limited to slower sharp turns on pavement but not in parking lots just winding mountain roads. There was a slight issue with the rear sensors on install and they needed some trimming to fit. Maybe I take a closer look at them first. I was surprise they needed any work to fit in the Currie.

Quick Reply: ABS/traction control issue