Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hard pull when braking

Old 10-27-2022, 03:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard pull when braking

Hello! I have been cruising the forum for a few years now and have come to the point where I need to post! Pretty much stock 2012 JK minus wheels, 33s, and 1.5 inch lift. I replaced my front pads, calipers, and rotors due to a sticking passenger side caliper. After replacing, I have a HARD pull to the left upon braking at high speeds. If I have to brake hard, the pull is even more aggressive with a creaking coming from the firewall (not sure if it's my brake booster or abs module). I have bled the brakes and abs module manually and with a scanner numerous times with no air in the system. I only have about 1.5k miles on the new brakes so I don't see any uneven pad wear yet. No play or any signs of wear in my steering/suspension. So I definitely think it's brake system related. Any ideas? Possibly a defective caliper? Master cylinder issue? Also, I do not have any codes.

Thanks for the help in advance!
Old 10-27-2022, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Sounds like a sticking caliper or dragging a pad. Check the temperature of the rotor with a heat gun (not your finger, learned that the hard way) after a hard break and see if anything is hotter than the others. What is the condition of the tires also? They could be causing the issue now that you have new braking system on. You can temporarily cross the front tires and see if that changes the condition. Could also be air in the system too. I use a MityVac to bleed the brakes and I feel its truly the best way to ensure no air in the system. Amazon order for under $100 but you need an air compressor to run it. A larger compressor actually.
The following users liked this post:
Alanymarce (10-31-2022)
Old 10-28-2022, 01:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bet the rubber brake hose is plugged. Where the metal is bent around the hose and bolts to the frame. Had the same thing happen on my 2011 2 door. I had replaced calipers, rotors & pads and still had the pulling. replaced the hose and problem solved. I couldn't blow through the rubber hose it was so plugged right where that metal is formed around the hose to mount to the frame.
The following users liked this post:
Alanymarce (10-31-2022)
Old 10-31-2022, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 78 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by cutter4292
i bet the rubber brake hose is plugged. Where the metal is bent around the hose and bolts to the frame. Had the same thing happen on my 2011 2 door. I had replaced calipers, rotors & pads and still had the pulling. replaced the hose and problem solved. I couldn't blow through the rubber hose it was so plugged right where that metal is formed around the hose to mount to the frame.
Great tip above. The hoses are cheap enough and should be replaced eventually anyway. Then you can also bleed the system again.
Old 10-31-2022, 02:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for the tips! I'm just going to replace the brake lines and rebleed everything and see what happens!
Old 11-03-2022, 09:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cutter4292
We may deal with the same issue on my uncle's JK project. The previous owner recently replaced the pads. It's not that hard pulling but he's concern. We'll fully inspect it when the tires from 4Wheelonline arrived so things will be done at once.

Quick Reply: Hard pull when braking