Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Air conditioning turns itself on?

Old 10-26-2022, 04:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Air conditioning turns itself on?

Have had my 2014 JKUR for a couple of weeks now. 85K miles on it. Still getting acquainted. Has standard HVAC controls (not automatic). Pretty sure the A/C system is low on charge as it doesn't get very cold and hisses when running. I have an appointment with my mechanic tomorrow to check and recharge if necessary. I also have a short 3 month, 3,000 mile warranty thru the selling dealer (but he's an hour away so I'm willing to spring for the A/C charge myself just to avoid multiple hour-long drives). If anything serious is wrong I'll want to get it back for service under the warranty.

Anyway, I've noticed at least twice now that when I have just the fan running, the A/C seems to turn itself on sometimes. The A/C light does not come on, but I hear the system start to hiss, and the air gets a bit drier. If I turn the fan off, the hissing stops, and doesn't restart when I switch the fan back on. The two times I've noticed this, it has been on rainy or very damp mornings - though that could be coincidental. If it weren't for the hissing I probably wouldn't have noticed, as the A/C doesn't affect the 6 cylinder as much as it would a smaller 4 cyl.

I did search the forum and online for this, and did find one older thread but it had no resolutions. Is this a known Jeep issue? If so, what's the fix?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-26-2022, 08:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

If you have the defroster on the AC kicks on periodically to dry out moisture inside the vehicle on most vehicles.
Old 10-26-2022, 08:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Moody - good point. I should have said that my position dial was set on upper (face) vents, not defrost...
Old 10-26-2022, 11:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi
I have the same problem with the smell in the green jeep
The problem was the radiator inside the cabin, the one for heating system
Was rust and leaking, I replace it with a hyundai one (dont found a jeep one in my city) same size, problem solved

Quick Reply: Air conditioning turns itself on?