Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Help - Brakes Dragging / stuck

Old 10-20-2022, 12:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help - Brakes Dragging / stuck

Hey everyone a bit new to the forums. Found it recently when trying to help diagnose issues with my front left brake constantly sticking. I'll keep it short or attempt to. So noticed it about a month or so ago where smoke would just come out of the wheel well and just placing your hand near it you could feel the heat emanating off that rotor. Pulled the wheel off disassembled the brake caliper and found out that my caliper was seized ( happened to my back right 2 years ago and seen its common on jeeps ). Due to life with family and work and minimal time to diagnose further I said screw it and took a local shop. Thats where they told me i practically needed pretty much everything replaced rotor, pads, caliper, lines. Well, I replaced that caliper all was fine and dandy for 2-3 drives from work and started noticed the same issue going on. Took that caliper off and the boot was just shredded like it got hot and split open, lucky was able to get a replacement. So far I have replaced the series of items below.
  1. Front Rotors
  2. Front Caliper with new slide bolts
  3. Brake pads
  4. Brake Lines - Steel braded lines ( that front left brake line was collapsed couldn't blow any air through it all )
  5. Bleed the entire system until it was basically new fluid only coming out and no visible bubbles.

After all that replaced drove good for a few weeks. One stop I started hearing a pop noise when pressing the brake pedal and it went away after 2-3 braking cycles. Thats when I started to hear excessive grinding that sounds like my caliper is not releasing like it should when you get under about 15-10 mph it really grabs but when letting of the clutch in first gear it does roll forward without that noise where the pad would be stuck to the rotor due to heat. I'd hate to say it would be the caliper again but you never know until i take it apart.

Any ideas or things i should be looking at really getting stumped by this one especially with replacing all of that.

Thanks,
Old 10-20-2022, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 378 Likes on 353 Posts

1st Welcome to JKF.. Given your actions a question .. how is the pedal? very hard after short travel or spongy - sinking as it continues toward the floor? These are symptoms that could be master cylinder issue.. I would be expecting another wheel to be experiencing a similar condition. Good group and much knowledge here so you should see more thoughts
Old 10-20-2022, 01:32 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you Jay for the welcome! I've browsed around on here for a some answers and there is a vast good amount of knowledge being exchanged. When pressing the brake pedal it does travel a short distance and gets somewhat stiff not like rock hard and doesn't really feel like a it will full sink towards the floor. I was thinking potentially the master cylinder but just seems only that left front, rear sounds good and then the front right sounds normal from what i can hear.
Old 10-23-2022, 05:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 142 Likes on 140 Posts

Interesting. If it is one caliper I assume she is pulling to the left correct? It seems like you replaced almost everything but the master cylinder. I haven't had a master cause sticking brakes when it went out. If it is pulling and still only on side is it possible the right side is not working at all and you have a stuck caliper there? Juts thinking of very odd things. When you check it out again does everything look good? I assume the rotors are not damaged (warped or severe wear marks), if so that can cause havoc on the brakes releasing. I am not sure I understand the pop noise you mentioned? What was that?
Old 10-25-2022, 11:52 AM
JK Newbie

Doesn't pull to the left when braking just a loud grinding sound coming from that rotor. That caliper has been replaced with a new one and then couple weeks later it started acting up and sure enough took it apart and the caliper boot was just mangled and shredded. Had it replace under warranty and about 2-3 weeks thats when i started to hear the grinding noise. The pop noise sounded like a little quick popping noise one pop when you press the brake in on the first time and then wouldn't reoccur. Hasn't made that noise since the time it did it.
Old 10-27-2022, 02:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 142 Likes on 140 Posts

Well if they fixed it under warranty I would take it back to them. It sure seems odd since you have had so much changed. When you say the boot was mangled that is from heat correct? here is something that is causing the calipers to not release. Do you smell the brakes getting hot or even feel it when you put your hand near the brakes (careful it could be real hot). If you jack it up does it turn freely or is it binding at time. Is the right hand side working at all? Did you put good calipers on her or cheaper ones. Maybe there is still a problem with the new caliper?
Old 10-29-2022, 07:08 AM
JK Newbie

all had been replaced with it jacked up the right side will spin freely no issues. The left side though tends to drag. The rotor was mangled most likely due to heat from the first time then replaced so got it under warranty. These are just remanufactured ones picked up at a local advanced auto store. Personally, they seem like junk to me. Will be pulling off today or tomorrow to investigate further.,
The following users liked this post:
RonandJanet (10-30-2022)

Quick Reply: Help - Brakes Dragging / stuck