Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Help! 07 JK Manual Blowing #28 fuse and dying on road

Old 08-31-2022, 04:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! 07 JK Manual Blowing #28 fuse and dying on road

Im stumped...

Begining of the month my clutch bearing broke and took out the rest of the clutch with it.
Got it replaced and about a week later, while coming up to a stop light, shifting down with clutch depressed, the Jeep died.
Couldnt start it and had it towed. Mechanic found fuse #28 blown, a 10amp fuse.
Picked it up and drove it 4 days and bam... did it again, while down shifting on the highway, clutch depressed. Barely glided over to breakdown lane.

Husband directed me how to replace that fuse over the phone and it immediately blew it again. We tried a 15amp and it started and I got home.

It has been at the mechanics for 2 days, they checked all wiring for the new clutch, nothing bent, pinched or broken. They tested the jeep, couldnt get it to repeat.
Ran it today and it didnt draw more than a few amps on that position. Said it could be the TPM or computer but its never done this in the 11 years I have owned the vehicle.

I cant keep driving it with the 15amp fuse, but am terrified to drive it with the 10 and get stuck on the highway again because it just DIES... when it happens there is no warning and I am stranded sometimes in the middle of the road. Dont know what else to look for or what to do at this point.
Old 08-31-2022, 04:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi MrsDunn! that's odd that the 15A holds but the 10A blows. a short will take out any size fuse ( providing its the weakest link). can you get an Amporbe on that circuit and measure the current draw? If you keep the 15A in the circuit you do risk an electrical hazard. Just be careful!
Old 08-31-2022, 05:01 PM
JK Newbie

The mechanic tested and over the course of 2 days hasn't gotten over a few Amp draw under several different circumstances.
Old 09-01-2022, 05:55 AM
Former Member

Received 142 Likes on 140 Posts

It seems that most of the time you don't have a problem such as when it was being tested. Then every once in awhile you blow the fuse. I agree it is odd that the 15 amp fuse is holding or it may simply be coincidence. I would think there is wire that is getting pinched causing the fuse to blow. I always so go back to what was done when the problem started. I would guess when the clutch was changed a wire got damaged. If this is the correct fuse it is labeled "Next Generation Controller (NGC), Transmission Feed (TRANS FEED),". I am not sure what NGC is for but again it pointing towards the transmission.
The following users liked this post:
MikeInMiami (09-01-2022)
Old 08-21-2024, 11:06 AM
JK Newbie

This is going to sound crazy but this post was 2 years ago and after returning it to the mechanic several times, whatever they did fixed it.

Until Monday, it died in the middle of the road headed to work. Sent it to the mechanic my boss uses and I have used recently for a/c issues.
Its the same fuse 28 and he thought he had it fixed and was bringing it to my office to return and it DIED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD ON HIM!
He put a new fuse in and it blew it immediately. So he had to tow it back to his shop.

Im not sure what happened 2 years ago that cause it and why its back after all that time but Im pretty frustrated!
Old 08-23-2024, 07:59 AM
JK Newbie

The new mechanic has had the Jeep since Monday.
On Wednesday he said it was fixed and he was bringing it over to where I work.
Then I got the text "I regret to inform you the Jeep died on the way over and is beting towed back to the shop.

Thursday he says, its fixed and is bringing it over.
Then again the text saying it died on the way over in the same spot (its like a 2 mile drive) and now even a larger fuse wont get it to start and get the driver out of trouble at least to the side of the road.

Now he is stumped... and so are we. Its my only vehicle and this Uber life is not enjoyable one bit.

Am I going to have to let this Jeep go?
Old 08-26-2024, 08:32 AM
JK Newbie

Default Found it !

My mechanic is my hero!

After working on this wire/fuse issue my mechanic located the wire causing the trouble.
It is a wire that runs across the to of the transmission and when the last mechanic put my new clutch in, must have pinched it, there is so little room there to begin with.
He had to drop the transmission, replace the wire and insulate it from being able to be worn down again when the transmission is put back in place.
Seems a poor design to have this original wire run across the top of the transmission like that, just begging to be crimped. But I am glad he found it
and this should be the final fix!

Quick Reply: Help! 07 JK Manual Blowing #28 fuse and dying on road