Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Radiator Fan Resistor

Old 07-02-2022, 07:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Radiator Fan Resistor

Hi Jeepsters, I have a 07 JK X Unlimited. I've looked in the forum but I can't seem to find a specific answer for this part. The fan just stopped working at all low or high speed. I've checked voltage and relays and they are all good. Actually when I changed the relay by the headlight side the fan worked for like 5 minutes then nothing. I hardwired the fan (slow and fast) and confirmed than fan works. I now narrowed the problem with this part because I bypassed it and the both speed works when they are engaged by the system. Now I want to replace it but the only thing I'm finding is part 55056789AC but it looks different from my original pictured below. The back part of the OEM is bulky and inside is a 14V - 40 Amp fuse or breaker ? The part 55056789AC does not have that part (last picture). If I purchase this one will it work the same way? The fan is a one speed but this piece is what splits the fan speeds. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Happy 4th of July!

Old 07-02-2022, 08:43 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

There's some differences between 2007 and 2008 for the fan control. Maybe yours is a late '07 and uses the '08 part, which I think is 68026780AA.

But if you can find a part number on the old one and the only difference compared with the new is the suffix (AA, AB, AC etc), it is a newer revision that replaces the old. It might take a trip to a dealer with the old part in hand to sort out.

Curious what you find out, stay in touch
Old 07-03-2022, 05:06 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mr.T
There's some differences between 2007 and 2008 for the fan control. Maybe yours is a late '07 and uses the '08 part, which I think is 68026780AA.

But if you can find a part number on the old one and the only difference compared with the new is the suffix (AA, AB, AC etc), it is a newer revision that replaces the old. It might take a trip to a dealer with the old part in hand to sort out.

Curious what you find out, stay in touch
Hey, Thanks for getting back. I searched for 68026780AA and the it looks the same as 55056789AC from the pictures but maybe the wiring connections are different? I found one that looks exactly like the OEM for and 08-10 Commander but the pins are in different locations. Next is to head to the dealer. I'll keep you posted.
Old 07-11-2022, 08:25 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RCYJ
Hey, Thanks for getting back. I searched for 68026780AA and the it looks the same as 55056789AC from the pictures but maybe the wiring connections are different? I found one that looks exactly like the OEM for and 08-10 Commander but the pins are in different locations. Next is to head to the dealer. I'll keep you posted.
I ended up getting the one for the Commander which was exactly like the original but the pins where in different positions. Easy fix and switch the pigtail position to match. That didn’t fix it. What I finally discovered while switching the pins is that the ground pin keeps losing ground. I was able to trace the ground which was located on the passenger side fender along with other ground wires. Instead of trying to repair the wire, I just spliced from the pigtail and ran a new one. Fixed!
The following users liked this post:
Jay2013jk (08-06-2024)
Old 07-11-2022, 09:50 AM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by RCYJ
I ended up getting the one for the Commander which was exactly like the original but the pins where in different positions. Easy fix and switch the pigtail position to match. That didn’t fix it. What I finally discovered while switching the pins is that the ground pin keeps losing ground. I was able to trace the ground which was located on the passenger side fender along with other ground wires. Instead of trying to repair the wire, I just spliced from the pigtail and ran a new one. Fixed!
Very interesting, intermittent connections are the worst!
Old 07-06-2023, 08:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. I have a 2008 JKU Rubicon and need a new fan resistor wiring harness. Fan side plug is melted. The one out of my Jeep seems to be different than either part number above. I know I’m bringing an old thread from the grave. I have been searching this forum and the internet for days with no luck finding a harness that looks like mine (below). It mounts differently and the pins are located in different spots. I was curious if anyone has the same harness and knew the P/N?

Old 08-05-2024, 02:24 PM
JK Newbie

Did you find the answer to this one. I’m having the same problem. Can’t find that exact part and dealership doesn’t have it.
Old 08-05-2024, 07:27 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dcorrie
Did you find the answer to this one. I’m having the same problem. Can’t find that exact part and dealership doesn’t have it.
Went to the dealer to see what they camp up with based on VIN. The part they came up with was different. The resistor was horizontal (inline with the plug), the mounting was different (mounted with a slide in clip on the right side and a single screw on the left instead of two screws, one top one bottom), and the single pin was on the wrong side of the plug. The parts guys swore up and down it was the right part and had the shop lead come back him up. I decided to try it. I had to get a file and tweak the hole in the fan shroud to get it to fit. Installed the part from the dealer and it worked like they said. Not sure how and not really interested in chasing out the wiring harness to figure it out but, however the main harness is wired must be indifferent to where the single pin is on that resistor pigtail assembly.
Old 08-06-2024, 03:34 AM
JK Newbie

Thank you. Ive seen that part online and I had the same conversation with the dealer parts guy yesterday. I’ll give it a shot. Appreciate your response. ]
Old 08-13-2024, 01:48 PM
JK Newbie

Default I found a good solution for this resistor problem.

I replaced multiple parts before I finally went to the dealership. The dealership did not stick the same resistor that was on my 07 jk. The electrical plugs didn’t match up and he tried to sell me a $300 part.

Instead I found a fan at Autozone that plugs in correctly with her resistor already build it. The fan with the resistor at Autozone was cheaper than the resistor alone from Jeep. It solved the problem immediately.

Quick Reply: Radiator Fan Resistor