Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

2013 JK Oil Leak (Suspected Oil Cooler)

Old 04-02-2022, 03:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2013 JK Oil Leak (Suspected Oil Cooler)

I have a 2013 JK with 56k miles on it that recently developed a oil leak. The oil is coming down both sides of the transfer case and I can see oil in the valley in front of the oil filter assembly, so I assume its the oil cooler. I called the local Jeep dealer here in Denver and was told it would be over a 2 month wait for a OEM part and oddly the tech wouldn't tell me the price without knowing my VIN number. I didn't have it handy so he never gave me a price and the conversation ended there. Should I wait for a OEM oil cooler? Does anyone have solid information if it's being redesigned with anything better? For those that didn't wait for the OEM, can you share which after market you purchased? I've seen some reviews on Amazon listings warning of failure in under 6 months and having to tear everything down again to replace it, something I don't really want to do.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank You
Old 04-02-2022, 05:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ITs not that hard of a job. I could do it in a couple hours now. Parts are all over the place but most are the same one just rebranded china stuff so dont over pay for one unless its a known good brand. OEM is nice and there is a few on EBAY being sold by dealers. I got a cheap version and will watch it for issues since I use my jeep very little. I did keep my old one that just needs the bottom seals and it will be good to go again. The seals were mashed flat and it was leaking out the blown out back one.
Old 04-04-2022, 04:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed out my 2013 oil cooler recently; it was not too challenging. Maybe 3-4 hours going slowly. A few things to think about. Do you want to update it with a 2014 oil cooler as it doesn't have issues with the broken springs? The spring in the 2011-2013 version breaks frequently (it did in mine) and I did not want to deal with the potential of that occurring again. However, that means you have to remember to purchase the newer oil filter. Second, I recommend purchasing an additional gasket set as insurance to make sure the gaskets in the new cooler will be good. Third, is there anything else needed to address while in there? The plenum gaskets will need to be changed, but while you are there, any spark plugs/coils/injectors are easy to change out too.

I can't provide any feedback on the aftermarket oil coolers as I was able to get the Mopar version last year, but I think the 2014 version is better as it removes the spring issue.
Old 04-04-2022, 06:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Won't don't you suspect it is a cracked oil filter housing? That has a high failure rate on 2014 models and some 2013. It happened on my 2014.
Old 04-04-2022, 06:28 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Why aren't you suspecting it is a cracked oil filter housing? That is quite common on 2014 and some 2013.
Old 04-04-2022, 06:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

also I got a 2014 and up housing as it was WAY cheaper and the filters are also cheaper. The housing fits exactly the same even the sensors are the same. I got a all in one kit that came with all new sensors..

Quick Reply: 2013 JK Oil Leak (Suspected Oil Cooler)