Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

NAG1 Transmission Stripped Input Shaft

Old 02-05-2021, 08:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation NAG1 Transmission Stripped Input Shaft

I have a 2017 JKUR with a JKS 3.5" lift on 35's with about 34,000 miles on it (stock powertrain).

Late last year my jeep started making a really loud whining noise that was got louder when it was in drive or reverse. It was exactly the issue in this youtube video that I later found:

The noise sounded like it was coming from inside the bell housing so we took it straight to the dealership and they confirmed that the input shaft on the transmission had been stripped and they would replace the whole transmission under warranty. This matched what the mechanic in the video above confirmed, the only issue is that no one knows what happened that caused the input shaft to strip in the first place. I dont stress the jeep too much and I certainly wasn't stressing it when it broke, we had just been cruising at about 70mph before we pulled off the freeway and first heard it.

Has anyone had this issue or know what might have happened to cause it? I see myself keeping my jeep for a while and definitely want to make sure that I'm doing what I can to prevent something like this in the future.
The following users liked this post:
doc5339 (02-05-2021)
Old 09-16-2024, 01:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had this exact thing happen on my wife's jeep Saturday. I have yet to take it out but on the hunt for a good replacement on the cheap. You ever get any info on what causes this?

Quick Reply: NAG1 Transmission Stripped Input Shaft