Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

3.6L Oil Leak

Old 08-17-2020, 08:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.6L Oil Leak

Looking for some advice on an oil leak I’ve found. 6 months ago went on some trails and found oil leaking pretty good. It came from the top of the bell housing so I went ahead and changed the oil filter housing. Now I’m still getting a little oil around the bell housing/driver side of the engine. It seems to be coming from right above the AC compressor and making its way back. When I did the oil filter housing I had to replace the lower intake manifold due to a stripped hole. I don’t think that would be the cause of it though. Any ideas? Can’t seem to find anyone else with the same problem.

Old 08-17-2020, 09:02 AM
JK Newbie

I’m guessing valve cover.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Last week someone posted on here about a 3.6 leaking problem and it ended up being the oil cooler.
Old 08-29-2021, 12:30 AM
JK Newbie

I've got a leak in the same spot. Is very slow at the moment so I'm not too worried, my guess is valve cover...🤷🏻‍♂️
Old 08-29-2021, 01:32 PM
JK Newbie

Default Common leak???

Had another look at mine this morning and appears to be around the head gasket area as can see the metal gasket...🤦🏻‍♂️
Going to clean the area and keep a close eye on it.
This common???

Old 08-30-2021, 09:13 AM
JK Newbie

I’m not sure. I was never able to find anyone else with a similar problem. I cleaned the area really well with brake cleaner. After a few months or so it didn’t seem to come back. Maybe a little weeping but not much. To me doesn’t seem to be that big a deal. I’m pretty sure I did read a recall about the 3.6 in the Caravans cracking on the left head so maybe it’s the same problem but more rare.
Old 08-30-2021, 10:02 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

I don't seem to see many 3.6L JKs with head or valve cover issues, though that doesn't mean that can't be your issue. However, these dang oil coolers are such a common problem that it would be the most obvious thing/area for me to inspect around real good to rule out first. Most of the time that oil is dripping down the back though which is obviously a bit different than what you got going on. Is the back side of the engine bone dry?
Old 08-30-2021, 11:55 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kvmz
I’m not sure. I was never able to find anyone else with a similar problem. I cleaned the area really well with brake cleaner. After a few months or so it didn’t seem to come back. Maybe a little weeping but not much. To me doesn’t seem to be that big a deal. I’m pretty sure I did read a recall about the 3.6 in the Caravans cracking on the left head so maybe it’s the same problem but more rare.
That's good it's worked out for you, could of been some residual oil from your leaking oil cooler?
Mine was like my pics when I brought it a year ago and thought someone before me had just spilt some oil when doing a service. I de greased the area and the leak appeared to be gone until i checked underneath after washing the Jeep the other day. So I suppose not a bad leak after a year/ 20 000ks driving....
Old 08-30-2021, 12:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
I don't seem to see many 3.6L JKs with head or valve cover issues, though that doesn't mean that can't be your issue. However, these dang oil coolers are such a common problem that it would be the most obvious thing/area for me to inspect around real good to rule out first. Most of the time that oil is dripping down the back though which is obviously a bit different than what you got going on. Is the back side of the engine bone dry?

That's what I thought too as never really heard of it being an issue but I'm still pretty new to the Jeep world!
I'm 99% sure my coolers ok as check it every service and there's no oil down the back of my engine, it's definitely bone dry. I'll just clean it off and keep a close eye on it 👍🏼
Old 06-19-2023, 06:08 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 2015JKUNZ
That's what I thought too as never really heard of it being an issue but I'm still pretty new to the Jeep world!
I'm 99% sure my coolers ok as check it every service and there's no oil down the back of my engine, it's definitely bone dry. I'll just clean it off and keep a close eye on it 👍🏼
Did you ever found the issue?? Im having a similar thing on my 2018 with 36K miles. The oil drop really never makes it to ground that tells me that it is a very small leak or some residual oil from the oil change, I'm going to clean it up today and drive it this week to see if it reappears. I hope it is just residual oil from the oil change, I still have my powertrain warranty till next month but im not looking forward to go thru dealer B.S, as I have an snorkel and other stuff added to the Jeep they will charge me an arm an leg for every accessory that it is on their way to fix this.

Quick Reply: 3.6L Oil Leak