Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Random Misfires 1,3, & 5

Old 04-13-2020, 09:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Random Misfires 1,3, & 5

Hi Folks,

Looking for your expertise.

The problem: Random Misfires on cylinders 1,3,5 - Confirmed with Scanner
The Jeep: 2012 JKU 6-Speed, 108K miles
How long: I've been trying to fix this: 9 months

It's hard to feel the misfire when under throttle, but you can hear and feel the slight misfire trembles when at idle.

What I've tried so far:
- New Spark Plugs: (2 set's - 6 NKG & 6 Champion) Properly Gapped
- New Coils: MSD
- New O2 Sensors (all 4 - both sides)
- New Crankshaft Position Sensor
- New MAP Sensor
- All new Rocker Arms and Lifters on that bank (Cyl 1,3,5)
- New Camshaft Position Sensor
- New Injector on Cyl 5 = No change still misfiring
- New upper and lower o-rings for injectors
- New upper and lower o-rings for Lower and Upper Manifolds

Tests Completed:
- Leakdown Test Showed Normal
- Rotated Coils - No Change
- Rotated Plugs - No Change
- Camshafts inspection - no flat spots found

Additional Modifications Possibly Affecting Performance:
Mishimoto Oil Catch Can
Banks CAI
Odyssey Battery

Additional Fixes Completed on Motor:
- New Oil Pressure Sensor

Friends,
Please help. I love my jeep, and I want to drive it to 300k miles and drop in a Hemi and keep driving it.

(Wave),
Matt
Old 04-14-2020, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator
Veteran: National Guard

Received 405 Likes on 380 Posts

Matt, check your profile, visitor messages..
Old 04-10-2024, 01:56 PM
JK Newbie

Default MISFIRE 1,3,5

HEY, I WAS JUST WONDERING IF YOU GOT YOUR MISFIRE ISSUE RESOLVED? I RUN A SHOP AND WE HAVE A 2012 JK WITH SAME ISSUES AND WEVE REPLACED EVERYTHING YOU HAVE AND WERE STUMPED. ANY INFO WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANK YOU

Originally Posted by MDuncan
Hi Folks,

Looking for your expertise.

The problem: Random Misfires on cylinders 1,3,5 - Confirmed with Scanner
The Jeep: 2012 JKU 6-Speed, 108K miles
How long: I've been trying to fix this: 9 months

It's hard to feel the misfire when under throttle, but you can hear and feel the slight misfire trembles when at idle.

What I've tried so far:
- New Spark Plugs: (2 set's - 6 NKG & 6 Champion) Properly Gapped
- New Coils: MSD
- New O2 Sensors (all 4 - both sides)
- New Crankshaft Position Sensor
- New MAP Sensor
- All new Rocker Arms and Lifters on that bank (Cyl 1,3,5)
- New Camshaft Position Sensor
- New Injector on Cyl 5 = No change still misfiring
- New upper and lower o-rings for injectors
- New upper and lower o-rings for Lower and Upper Manifolds

Tests Completed:
- Leakdown Test Showed Normal
- Rotated Coils - No Change
- Rotated Plugs - No Change
- Camshafts inspection - no flat spots found

Additional Modifications Possibly Affecting Performance:
Mishimoto Oil Catch Can
Banks CAI
Odyssey Battery

Additional Fixes Completed on Motor:
- New Oil Pressure Sensor

Friends,
Please help. I love my jeep, and I want to drive it to 300k miles and drop in a Hemi and keep driving it.

(Wave),
Matt
Old Yesterday, 07:31 AM
JK Newbie

I've got a similar problem, although mine had been cylinder 4 misfire, PO304. Good compression to cylinder 4. I replaced the 6 spark plugs with Champion (Mopar), the 6 coils with Mopar, and all 6 fuel injectors. I cleaned the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor in the air intake and replaced the Mass Air Pressure (MAP) sensor near the throttle body. Still no luck, kept getting P0304. Then I just recently replaced the lower intake manifold and replaced all 12 rubber gaskets, 6 on the bottom and 6 on the top and correctly torqued all bolts as I had found 2 of the long bolts going from the upper intake manifold to the bottom couldn't be correctly torqued (they were stripped into the plastic lower manifold). Interesting now that my check engine light code has switched to P0300, random/multiple cylinder misfire. The car feels like it drives fine and idles nicely. Thoughts on why the code has changed? Maybe one of the lower gaskets twisted or something during the lower intake manifold install?? Hate tearing it apart again, however now that the code has changed I'm thinking I'm making progress? Next step might be to perform a smoke test to see if I have a vacuum leak somewhere?? Help please!!
Old Yesterday, 07:43 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,692 Posts

Originally Posted by rcrouse2
I've got a similar problem, although mine had been cylinder 4 misfire, PO304. Good compression to cylinder 4. I replaced the 6 spark plugs with Champion (Mopar), the 6 coils with Mopar, and all 6 fuel injectors. I cleaned the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor in the air intake and replaced the Mass Air Pressure (MAP) sensor near the throttle body. Still no luck, kept getting P0304. Then I just recently replaced the lower intake manifold and replaced all 12 rubber gaskets, 6 on the bottom and 6 on the top and correctly torqued all bolts as I had found 2 of the long bolts going from the upper intake manifold to the bottom couldn't be correctly torqued (they were stripped into the plastic lower manifold). Interesting now that my check engine light code has switched to P0300, random/multiple cylinder misfire. The car feels like it drives fine and idles nicely. Thoughts on why the code has changed? Maybe one of the lower gaskets twisted or something during the lower intake manifold install?? Hate tearing it apart again, however now that the code has changed I'm thinking I'm making progress? Next step might be to perform a smoke test to see if I have a vacuum leak somewhere?? Help please!!
First, your profile shows a '20 model, or a JL. I presume you still have the 3.6L engine in it so lot could still be relevant. take a look at this thread cuz seeing the valves on cylinder 4 on this engine were surprising -

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...ooting-360742/
Old Yesterday, 09:35 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks, fixed my model year to 2016 JK. Read the post in the link lots of things to consider, almost all of it over my head so the next stop is likely my mechanic. The one thing I noticed that bothered me was when installing the new lower intake manifold it didn't seem to sit flush, it moved about a bit, all the bolts lined up and were easily torqued but now I'm wondering if a piece of debris got between the manifold and the mounting area or one or more of the gaskets fell out during the install. Thanks!
Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,692 Posts

it is really hard due to lack of space to get anything down under that upper intake, but you might try to see if you can get any starter fluid down in that area with the engine running. If one of those gaskets was compromised, the intake should suck that starter fluid right in and you'd hear the engine rev up. but, it would be pretty tough. sitting at work, i can't envision if there is enough room to get a straw past the oil filter housing or not to reach down in there. Maybe a "custom" small hose hooked to straw on the can?? idk, the thought of removing all that to inspect hurts my head. I've been in my engine enough times to feel that pain.

Quick Reply: Random Misfires 1,3, & 5