Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Heavy Weight JKU

Old 12-01-2019, 09:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heavy Weight JKU

I've been trying to search for threads on this, but am having a hard time- or perhaps I'm wording the search wrong. Anyhoo, what is considered to be a "heavy" jeep? I have an 07 JKUR automatic, and the planned additions are:

- JCR Dagger frame chop front bumper (47 lbs)
- Warn 9.5xp winch (68 lbs w/100' synthetic rope)
- Motobilt frame chop rear bumper (advertised as 73 lbs, but this kit includes a new rear crossmember. I'd say, actual weight added would be 55 lbs?)
- Genright corner armor (28 lbs for both sides)
- Skid plates (Not sure- weight not advertised anywhere. No additional gas tank skid plate)
- Poison Spyder rocker armor (37 lbs for both sides?)
- Factory Rubicon rock rails (85 lbs for both sides?)
- Genright Aluminium cage-type swing out tire carrier (21 lbs)
- MCE fenders (about 20 lbs for all 4)
- Extended range fuel tank (68 lbs dry)
- Hard top (maybe 200 lbs?)

For now I'm going to run the factory Moab wheels with spacers. Not sure if/when I'm going to swap wheels, so figure about 90 lbs with 35" KO2's for each wheel/tire. I will be installing 5.13 gears, and I will be adding a intercooled Ripp SC down the road.

I'm really more concerned with the suspension at this point- I'll be running OME medium (or no load?) rate springs- 2" in the front and 2.5" in the rear with Rocksport shocks. I don't want to go any higher. Do y'all think this load-out will be too much (excessive spring sag) for the spring/shock combo? I won't be towing anything, as the frame chop rear bumper eliminates the tow hitch...

Last edited by Yemx; 12-01-2019 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-01-2019, 01:35 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

I would not consider what you are talking about being heavy. I would not waste the money on a supercharger either. Most people regret doing them.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:56 PM
JK Newbie

Default Heavy weight

It sounds like your Jeep will be like our Jeep (JKUR) is as far as the weight goes. I think that the stock springs are not intended for the additional weight that you mentioned. Our jeep has significant body roll going over uneven roadways, it's not too bad off road but some highways at speed are ridiculous. I'm looking into getting old man emu heavy springs. Springs wouldn't be differentiated between light and heavy without a reason. good luck
Old 12-01-2019, 05:48 PM
JK Newbie

Excellent! I was worried that I was going to be adding too much weight. The SC- if I do it, would be well down the road. I want to see how it does with the gear change and tuning (via a hand held tuner) before I seriously consider a SC. Only reason I'm considering a SC, is because I just don't see spending very nearly or the same amount of money I spent on the Jeep, for a V8 swap. $15k-$20k on what is essentially one mod hurts my soul. I can't justify the cost.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:36 PM
JK Newbie

Default Cost...

I've been working on the cost factor for months. But the bottom line is there's just no substitute for V8 power.... torque and sound. If you want a off road vehicle then V6. Otherwise show JEEP that we all want V8 power and performance.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:06 PM
JK Newbie

Totally agree- no replacement for displacement. But I want to see how the jeep does with 35's and the re-gear/tune. If it feels like stock, I'll be happy. The bottom line is, $15k+ is A LOT of money!
Old 12-02-2019, 12:01 PM
JK Newbie

I've been reading everything I can about doing a Hemi swap and the do-it-yourselfers seem to be able to do it in the 10K range . 10 K is still a lot of money..... but I could certainly think of worse ways to spend it.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:45 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

My 2 cents is that there is not a lot of extra margin for strength and longevity built into modern vehicles. There can be a pattern of adding weight, height, power and torque until the next weakest part fails or wears out early. Then add in the potential for installer incompetence, poor engineering, and spotty manufacturing quality control.

A common example is the front ball joints. The stock ones on mine (285-70/17 on stock wheels) are still fine at 130K miles. If I had 35's with the necessary wheel offset, it would probably be on it's third set by now. The super charger is a more expensive example; premium fuel + lots of detonation + buggy tunes + engine wear/tear + failed early auto trans, etc.

Burn lots of fuel in 4WD. Learn the limitations of the existing vehicle and stay within them. Resist modifications beyond what it takes to go where you actually want to go. Go slow with modifications, and always ask what are the downsides, the Dark Side. The Dark Side is the force that tends to break stuff and wear things out early. Sorry, couldn't resist the Star Wars analogy...

Last edited by Mr.T; 12-02-2019 at 05:03 PM. Reason: grammar & spelling
Old 12-02-2019, 05:29 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

Regarding the engine swaps, suggest talking with someone after 50K+ miles and ask about problems -- both foreseen and unforeseen. One basic problem is eventually troubleshooting the electronic side. The factory manual doesn't necessarily apply, and where is the delineation between original and added? And what's the sale price if you decide to sell it -- Maybe it's actually less than a stocker because of all the uncertainties?

Don't get me wrong, I actually like this stuff -- Might be just my day to go all negative...

Old 12-03-2019, 10:33 AM
JK Newbie

Mr.T, I couldn't have put it better. I tend to er on the side of over-building. Or at least over-planning. This is why I ask about seemingly small things, like what is to be considered a "heavy" jeep. Or rather, what combination of things would make a heavy jeep. I'm first going to try to stick to as close to stock as possible- not lift too high, and upgrade known problem areas- with regard to 35" tires and adding some weight. I'm not doing any hard wheeling, as I am building the JK as an overlander. But looking at all the issues that pop up from the different kinds of wheeling, helps me steer the build. I'm not too keen on the supercharger, as the factory components were not designed for the boost, even though it's only 8 psi (less?). As far as I can tell, there aren't even any upgrade options to even build an engine that is purpose built for a supercharger. There's no transmission swaps for the 3.8L either. So making sure the vehicle operates within it's means and improving what I can is about all I can do.

yaak- Even at $10k, an engine swap is a bit much... That's half the cost of my vehicle, and if the vehicle is sold, no one ever gets their money back. They'll be lucky if they broke even. I would LOVE to do a Hemi swap. But as mentioned, any engine swap (LS or Hemi) has it's own issues. Mostly electrical, and for me- smog. I unfortunately live in a state with similar (but not as bad) smog laws as Cali. Even then, eventually ALL states will have to comply. That's the way EPA laws and auto manufacturers requirements are going. Engine swaps will only get more difficult.

I think I'm just going to stick to my original idea and just improve the things I've noticed are "trouble spots", and operate the vehicle within it's designed parameters. Then just fix what needs to be fixed when the need arises.

Quick Reply: Heavy Weight JKU