Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Considering a Regear

Old 10-22-2019, 09:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Considering a Regear

Just hoping for a little input here. I've found some really great info on re-gearing, but still had a couple questions. This is super-preliminary info gathering; just trying to find out what sort of questions I should be asking, things I should be looking for, etc.

What's up: I sold a stock part to a guy that's swapping a lot of his mods back to stock. His rig is an 07-11 JKU Rubicon, which he re-geared (at some point) to 4.88. He's since dropped the 35's and is looking to get back to the stock 4.10's, which I happen to still have in my '12 Rubicon. I'd like a set of 4.88's, and this seems like it may be a good way to do it, as I believe he would be willing to just trade.

What I would like help with:
Are there any compatibility issues I should concern myself with, or should the ring and pinions and carriers for an 07-11 Rubicon all play just fine when swapped with components from a '12 Rubicon?
What would be the ballpark expected cost of paying a shop to take in both jeeps and swap the gears?
Are there any gear manufacturers that would be a major "do not touch" red flag?
Any questions that someone more knowledgeable than I in the realm of differentials might think to ask someone before considering making such an arrangement?

Don't have any more to go on yet as this is just some preliminary "starting to think about it" sort of research.
Appreciate any insight or wisdom that the experts care to share!
Old 10-22-2019, 11:51 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Should be a direct swap jeep to jeep. The only obvious thing is your also trading wear and tear on gears/bearings/lockers. In the big scheme of things though, it's a good way for you to regear for no cost. People will have differing opinions or preferences on brands of gears, but I don't think that would be a stopper for me at least even though my preference is Yukon. Any time you do an axle swap you have a small bit of risk (locker craps out, gears fail, realize bearings shot). Low risk, but risk none the less. It's never the end of the world though. I'd just want to do a decent visual inspection....make sure nothing obviously wrong with the housing or gears (chunks missing out of teeth n stuff). No clue what a shop would charge. I think just as important as the items, you get a feel for the person your swapping with.

Last edited by resharp001; 10-22-2019 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

That's a lot of work to swap the gears over and really, I don't think you'll save much. The way that I would frame it is a complete axle swap but then you're into the potential of ball joints and bearing wear as noted. If it runs well then maybe see if he'd straight swap you axles. Still a lot of faith to put in someone if you don't know the guy.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:13 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

I'm sorry, I thought we were talking about a complete axle swap here. No, I would NOT swap gears from one axle to another. If that is the only option, just regear with new. Never regear with used gears.....which is what you'd essentially be doing.

I've bought used axles before, and I've regeared axles as well. I've also sold axles both online and in person before. There is always a risk. I can tell you there is risk having a shop regear too. I've seen cheap ass "shops" around here that say they can regear both axles for $900......well, sure...they also reuse the old bearings! There is risk in everything. I'd do a full axle swap if they were willing.

Last edited by resharp001; 10-22-2019 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Haha, didn't even consider that just trading the axles would probably be easier... Not sure anything will come of it, but good point. Appreciate the input; will give it some thought!
Old 10-22-2019, 02:56 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRubycon
Haha, didn't even consider that just trading the axles would probably be easier... Not sure anything will come of it, but good point. Appreciate the input; will give it some thought!
Another point to consider is: Will your shop warranty a 'used' gear install? Some won't even warranty customer supplied 'new' gears. In these cases, they have an easy out with saying that the unknown quality gears were at fault, and a bad install had nothing to do with their work. Mention a full axle swap to that seller, or have the install shop supply the gears. (call around to different shops, and don't just look for the lowest price. Compare the warranties they offer and try to find customer reviews of their work.)

Quick Reply: Considering a Regear