Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Who stepped up from an 07-10 to a 2012+ JK?

Old 10-22-2019, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Who stepped up from an 07-10 to a 2012+ JK?

I am considering making the jump in the spring or summer. From the 2007 I just replaced the engine in.

I am interested to see what you guys think.

Was it worth the extra cash to step up to the newer version?

Obvious increase in power. Is it that noticeable?

Is the 3.6 dependable?

What issues have you had? Engine, interior, problems with modifying and compatibility?

thank you guys
Old 10-22-2019, 07:58 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Considering you just replaced the engine.....meh, not sure it would be worth the cost to swap. You'd really have to value the updated interior IMO. It's nice to have a bit extra HP in the 3.6L, but dang, you'd probably be better off doing some forced induction on that new motor instead. At least something to think about. Curious to hear other's take.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
Considering you just replaced the engine.....meh, not sure it would be worth the cost to swap. You'd really have to value the updated interior IMO. It's nice to have a bit extra HP in the 3.6L, but dang, you'd probably be better off doing some forced induction on that new motor instead. At least something to think about. Curious to hear other's take.
I have been thinking the same. The Jasper engine wasn’t cheap. It just seems like one thing after another lately though. Issues with the heater, exhaust broke, water pump (before new engine) radiator, brakes, leaks in the back window/hard top lift gate, etc.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:12 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Y, but a lot of that stuff is going to be regular maintenance. One thing I always remind myself.....buying another used vehicle does NOT guaranty it's problem-free just because it's newer. Sometimes the known quantity is the better route. Had you not just paid for that engine I might think differently. I'm not sure there's a right or wrong answer, but there is indeed a cost involved to weigh options against.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Y, but a lot of that stuff is going to be regular maintenance. One thing I always remind myself.....buying another used vehicle does NOT guaranty it's problem-free just because it's newer. Sometimes the known quantity is the better route. Had you not just paid for that engine I might think differently. I'm not sure there's a right or wrong answer, but there is indeed a cost involved to weigh options against.

Very good points. $5400 for the ripp supercharger.

I do like the newer interior though.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I'm 52 years old so I've owned a bunch of cars. My 2012 JKU is the most reliable vehicle I've owned. I've had it nearly 8 years and 108,000 miles. The only thing that went wrong was the starter at 7 years. The 3.6 has considerably more HP and also 10% better MPG compared to the 3.8.
Old 10-22-2019, 08:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
I'm 52 years old so I've owned a bunch of cars. My 2012 JKU is the most reliable vehicle I've owned. I've had it nearly 8 years and 108,000 miles. The only thing that went wrong was the starter at 7 years. The 3.6 has considerably more HP and also 10% better MPG compared to the 3.8.
thank you.

When the 3.8 blew on mine, there were NO indications. I checked the oil, looked great. No check engine light. No heating issues.

I was told by several people the 3.8 was a good dependable engine. Just didn’t have a lot of power.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

The 3.8 is considered reliable because it's been around a while. That same block is what the base of the 3.3l caravan used to run. I think it goes back to maintenance though. I've got over 200k on my original motor and I'm sure I'm due any day now for it to give up the ghost but until then, I'll keep replacing spark plugs, coolant, etc as described in the manual.

Looking at making the jump to a new generation gives you no guarantees. The 12's still had issues, maybe even the 13's. It seems like there was a year in there that they did an odd oil filter housing and people had problems with over tightening the filter and breaking things. Yes, new interior is nice and they do have more power with better fuel economy, but what you'll gain there will be lost in trying to trade up. The price of it to equal out really does take a LONG time to recoup. That's why I'll go with another 3.8 instead of LS or even regearing. Yes, it makes the vehicle nicer, but the breakeven point is so far out that it isn't worth it. When I acquire the tools to do a regear is when I'll get that project done.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I picked up an 07 about 6+ months ago, I looked for 6 months before I could find one with Zero rust. Engine 3.8 had 140k on it and ran like a top. I liked the difference between the 07 as apposed to the 06 down. The front cab seems a few inches bigger which is more comfortable to me. I did not like that the drivers seat would not go back far enough, to keep my left knee from hitting the window knob. I ordered a set of seat mounts for the drivers side that would allow me to set with adjustment further back several inches. Next I replaced the soft top and purchased a later model 3 piece hard top factory. Then I changed both the ft and rear bumpers to make a tank tough with a frame mounted receiver hitch not on the rear bumper. I then decided being my age and the wife's Dementia that I would have a Jasper long block installed with a new Radiator, Trans cooler installed as it is an Automatic. Next installed a alternator and starter..Did it need it no really but it was for my piece of mind and the 3yrs 100k warranty nation wide. I also purchased an install kit which includes all hoses, belts and more. Then thanks to the members here, I purchased the original fiberglass vented hood from, the factory that came up with concept rather than a metal copy from China. And now I am having an updated radio with blue tooth and of course back up cam this week..Many would say I suppose, I invested way to much for piece of mind..My thinking was I like the model that I purchased free of rust like factory new inside and out. I just tailored it to my needs and liking, Bottom line is how much do you want to spend and what performance and piece of mind is right for you. Good luck with you decision and post your endeavor..Just an old mans opinion.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

It is difficult to read this and decide.

“The newer, smaller, yet more powerful, 3.6L Pentastar V6 is what comes in the 2012-current Jeeps. It has 285 horsepower and 260 pound feet of torque. The Pentastar engine was made to replace the aging EGH.”

When spending $5784 to supercharge it with the stage 2 RIPP to get “240 rear wheel horsepower”

IDK 😐

Quick Reply: Who stepped up from an 07-10 to a 2012+ JK?