Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Looking to buy a JK within the next few months, need some advice

Old 10-21-2019, 06:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking to buy a JK within the next few months, need some advice

Hey all,
So I am finishing up my last semester at school and will be looking to buy a JK at the end of this year. I have been looking at JK's from 2014 and up and am only looking at stock Jeeps as I am hesitant to buy one that has already been tinkered with. I am currently living in the Northeast (Long Island) and wanted to discuss rust issues when looking to buy the right Jeep.
I am aware that rust is inevitable for some components of the Jeep and that is especially true since I am in the Northeast. I am trying to find sources online that show pictures/video of that show an acceptable amount of rust or ones that have rust that should be a concern. I am ashamed to say that I don't know a heck of a lot about Wranglers when it comes to rust as I have done a lot of research but this issue is something that I really don't feel comfortable with.
I am nervous that I might not notice problem areas and that I might be dealing with costly repairs down the line. It could be really helpful if you guys could provide some pictures of your own Wranglers or others to shed some light on areas I should be focusing on and maybe when it would be a concern to think of not purchasing that Jeep.
The rust issue is something that has been bothering me, however I do feel comfortable assessing the rest of the vehicle to decide if there are any issues. Also I know there are products out there that I can apply myself that can help to reduce rust so I would be curious as to what you guys use and what type of labor is involved in that. I am looking to become more car savvy (for lack of a better term) as I really don't have much experience with cars but I want to be very involved with my Jeep so I want to expand my knowledge specifically regarding Wranglers.

Also a side note; I will be buying right at the end of the year so I'm curious to know if prices will be going down as dealers are trying to move stock out of the lot. I'm looking to spend around 20-30k so I feel like there is a quality Wrangler out there that fits my needs.

Hope this was clear and I want to thank you in advance for any advice you guys can provide!
Old 10-22-2019, 02:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Good luck! There are many options to prevent rust. The easiest is leave her in the garage
Old 10-22-2019, 06:40 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Since it appears rust is a big concern to you, I'd recommend buy a Jeep from somewhere they don't salt the road and that doesn't have a heavy, salt sea air. Years ago a slew of Jeeps from Hawaii--previously rentals--were sold stateside and having rust problems. Having lived on Guam for a bit during a past life, I can assure you sea salt air is hard on vehicles. The Florida coast also has this problem. Desert areas are great. Think SoCal (away from the coast), Arizona, etc. As far as when to buy, there are many factors that effect the used car market--the country's economy being the most notable. However, I've never heard of end of year as one.
The following users liked this post:
Eric Rawson (10-22-2019)
Old 10-22-2019, 06:46 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Prices on used inventory really dont matter what time of year. You may get better deals on last days of month because pay is based on sales. Good idea staying with stock jeeps. You will find all JK's will have rusty driveshafts as well as the back of the brake rotors. The rest should be rust free if they were taken care of.
Eric Rawson (10-22-2019)
Old 10-22-2019, 01:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea I have been considering looking for Jeeps in different locations that will be less likely to have serious rust issues. The only issue is that I really don't have time to travel to see a Jeep and test drive/inspect it. So I am not sure how to even approach a situation like that to make sure that the Jeep is in good condition when I am hundreds of miles away.
Thanks for the reply!
Old 10-23-2019, 01:56 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

You've got to ask questions about how it's been used and maintained. Ask if he has a maintenance record and if he could send you a copy. Ask for photos of specific parts, and have a bit of trust in the seller. You might ask for a Duo, Facetime, etc, video call to see the vehicle. Make it clear that you aren't buying it if it isn't as described, or if he fails to mention something that, once you see it, is unacceptable. It's just a waste of your and his time. Don't let the seller know you're concerned about the expense and time of finding the right vehicle. Rather, you're in this to find the right vehicle, and will do what it takes to do so.
Eric Rawson (10-23-2019)
Old 10-23-2019, 12:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Car Fax has an excellent app for that and you can narrow or widen your search area. I happened to find my JK that way and learned it was previously owned by a Soccer Mom with no hidden headaches. The actual Car Fax report helps as well.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a JK within the next few months, need some advice