Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Clutch Issue

Old 10-21-2019, 03:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Issue

So a few blocks from home this morning I went to grab second gear coming out of a stop sign and the clutch pedal felt like it jammed. I pressed a little harder and it hit the floor and no longer has any pressure. I was able to put it into four low and then get it into first gear without using the clutch and limped it home.

After some web searching I was thinking that it's the slave cylinder. But it also now starts without having the clutch engaged which doesn't seem right and because it jammed up before going limp, I thought it might be the sensor/switch/whatever between the pedal and the master cylinder?

Any ideas on what I should be looking for to help diagnose the problem?
Old 10-21-2019, 04:14 PM
JK Newbie

Update: It will start without the clutch engaged in neutral, but not in gear.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Sounds like you broke linkage
Old 10-22-2019, 06:25 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Sierra JK
... I was able to put it into four low and then get it into first gear ... it also now starts without having the clutch engaged which doesn't seem right ...
It is unclear if you were in 4WD-Low for the second part of that. But, are you aware that in 4WD-Low it is normal to be able to start the Jeep without pressing in the clutch? Helps when you need to start on hills.
The following users liked this post:
Sierra JK (10-22-2019)
Old 10-22-2019, 06:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Generally, but not always, if the slave cylinder failed there will be brake fluid all over the underside of the transmission, leaking either from the slave itself or out of the inspection hole under the trans or both.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 470 Likes on 422 Posts

Sounds like master cylinder to me. But one should replace both slave and master at the same time. Better hope it is not the clutch as the gearbox is a major job to re and re.
Old 10-24-2019, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Transmission isn't that bad to drop and replace pieces, after you've done it a couple times. It's a little tedious but if you've got the correct tools and know how then you can knock it out in a day. I'm down to 8hrs start to finish. There's a decent video on YouTube where the guy slows down and shows the bolts as well as diagrams to maximize your visibility on it when you can't see any of it.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:18 AM
JK Super Freak

So, it's not uncommon for a slave cylinder to go out without leaking.

I fixed on slave cylinder where the rod actually bent and then snapped and the driver had they same symptoms as you.

Other thing is a broken clutch plate... that will also create the same symptoms.

Quick Reply: Clutch Issue