Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Which winter tires?
Winterforce LT 255/75R17
0%
Nokian Hakkapeliitta 9 Studded
100.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Snow Tires

Old 10-21-2019, 08:16 AM
geo
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow Tires

I have a stock 2013 JKUR that I am going to put dedicated winter tires on. The two options are Firestone Winterforce LT, which comes in the stock 255/75R17 size or Nokian Hak9 studded, which comes in 265/70R17. Price is very similar, so that is not an issue. The Winterforce LT's can be studded as well, but I am not sure what the price change will be. I am on the fence with both, help me decide!
Old 10-21-2019, 09:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I still have a mental block regarding firestone from the blowout issues on ford explorers back in the 90's, so I will never consider them. Yes, I know my fears are not based in reality, but still, many people died in this country alone.
I'm curious, are studded tires significantly better? I have no experience with them. I know that in NJ, my Jeep with duratracs was unstoppable in up to about 18" of snow.
Old 10-22-2019, 02:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
I still have a mental block regarding firestone from the blowout issues on ford explorers back in the 90's, so I will never consider them. Yes, I know my fears are not based in reality, but still, many people died in this country alone.
I'm curious, are studded tires significantly better? I have no experience with them. I know that in NJ, my Jeep with duratracs was unstoppable in up to about 18" of snow.
Studded tires are better on ice and snow than non studded tires. On dry roads, not so much
Old 10-22-2019, 08:51 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I agree with the above. I have been driving in Montana winters for 46 years and have run many different tires and set ups and for ice and hard packed snow studs are best. for deep snow and slush and dry roads no. I will say some of the studless tires now are amazing even on ice. Check out Falken atw3's they are incredible tires for winter and all around use. They have the snowflake designation so for those who live in Canada where designated winter tire is required they would be great. They are also dirt cheap thru TireBuyer.com
Old 10-22-2019, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 358 Likes on 334 Posts

Try this article.. yes it appears to be from Europe.. https://www.pneurama.com/en/rivista_...LAKE-?ID=20587

Didn't vote.. I run Falken AT3 Wildpeak in S.E. Pa. It's a Snowflake designated 3 Peak tire.
Old 10-22-2019, 04:33 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay2013jk
Try this article.. yes it appears to be from Europe.. https://www.pneurama.com/en/rivista_...LAKE-?ID=20587

Didn't vote.. I run Falken AT3 Wildpeak in S.E. Pa. It's a Snowflake designated 3 Peak tire.
It would not download but Falken's do super well.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:13 AM
geo
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ended up going with studded Firestone Winterforce LT, mostly out of convenience and that they were the same size as stock. Had the first real test with them the other day. Roads were very icy after our first storm. Performance was fantastic. No lateral movement when I tried to fishtail the the rear end out. Didn't have to use 4WD at all, even starting at intersections, or hills where I would have used it. Glad I got studded tires.

Quick Reply: Snow Tires