Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Master cylinder leaking

Old 05-28-2016, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Master cylinder leaking

Guys I have a 2007 Jeep Wrangler jk 6 speed manual tranni. My master cylinder is leaking from were the metal tubing connects to the master cylinder and held in by a metal u clip type thing. I took it apart and there is a rubber ring thing inside the master cylinder that goes on top of the metal tubing. It doesn't really look warn. Don't get why it keeps leaking anyone know a fix or can help? I replaced the slave cylinder about 2 years ago. Factory master and metal tubing.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Leaks from here
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3130329325.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	493.0 KB
ID:	648169  
Old 05-29-2016, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasoncinpean
Leaks from here
I'm not sure what I'm looking at here, but what you have shown doesn't look like the MC to me.

Manual trans however do have an additional connection to the brake system for the clutch, so maybe that's why I'm not recognizing it. I see the brake booster which is where the MC mounts, is that below the booster? It's hard to tell from that pic

Last edited by Rednroll; 05-29-2016 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 02:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I'm not sure what I'm looking at here, but what you have shown doesn't look like the MC to me. Manual trans however do have an additional connection to the brake system for the clutch, so maybe that's why I'm not recognizing it. I see the brake booster which is where the MC mounts, is that below the booster? It's hard to tell from that pic

Yeah that's the line that plugs into the clutch master. That's the metal connection line that's leaking....
Old 05-30-2016, 09:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I feel like I stopped the leak from the clutch master I don't see any more leaking problem is I put tire back on jeep lowered the jeep off the jack and guess what got a crap load of brake fluid coming out of the bell housing. Could this be caused by the slave cylinder being bad I see that the slave is a bit wet from were it goes in and such but most off all the water fall came from the bell housing. Any ideas?
Old 05-31-2016, 08:49 PM
JK Newbie

Yup slave cylinder sounds like it's bad too. At least those are pretty cheap and usually have lifetime warranties. Make sure to spray inside the bell housing with a crap ton of brake clean to get that brake fluid off the friction plate. Brake fluid is highly corrosive for your clutch.
Old Today, 05:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jasoncinpean
I feel like I stopped the leak from the clutch master I don't see any more leaking problem is I put tire back on jeep lowered the jeep off the jack and guess what got a crap load of brake fluid coming out of the bell housing. Could this be caused by the slave cylinder being bad I see that the slave is a bit wet from were it goes in and such but most off all the water fall came from the bell housing. Any ideas?
I saw your post on the clutch line leaking at the master cylinder. What did you do to fix the leak? I have the same problem and same year jeep. Only I have new clutch, slave, hydraulic line, and master cylinder but still leaks at master cylinder where line connects.

Quick Reply: Master cylinder leaking