Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Parking Brake Asembly Question

Old 07-25-2015, 03:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Parking Brake Asembly Question

Hi there,

It looks like my drivers side parking brake isn't activating when engaged. Typical cable issues etc. are fine. Issue stems form inside the parking brake assembly. I attached a pic, the lever is part#4. When I move the lever, it doesn't compress the pads, or bring them together like it should.

Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	wrangler-jk-rear-parking-brake-parts[1].jpg
Views:	2464
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	619258  
Old 07-26-2015, 05:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So... your hand brake lever take-up is working correctly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ag5OO4d_B0 Pads are good and drum is clean then the fault may be in the stars... star adjustment, that is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzooHSsOqd0
Old 07-31-2015, 05:32 PM
JK Newbie

Ya my parking brake handle works great. Properly adjusted. And I resurfaced the inside of the rotor while I had everything apart. Its the mechanism that lifts and pushes the parking brake out to contact the rotor that seems to be broke or rusted out and snapped. It works on one side perfectly, enough to hold the jeep, but the drivers side is broke...

Will probably replace the whole parking brake assembly over the winter... comes as a full unit that bolts right in...
Old 07-31-2015, 05:33 PM
JK Newbie

The second video (e-brake adjustment) is a great reference!
Old 08-16-2015, 03:49 PM
JK Newbie

Wanted to post back on the parking brake assembly. I had a chance to take it apart today, and its actually a pretty simple setup. I had a broke brake lever (#4 in diagram above), it connects to the parking brake actuator (#3).

The trickiest part when putting the parking brake assemble back together are the springs. The two long ones take a good amount of torque.

Lastly, for those in the snow belt, when its apart, and cleaned and rust sanded off, put a light layer of brake grease on the brake lever and on some of the contact areas. Helps keeps he various pieces from seizing together, and keeps it working smoothly.
Old 06-12-2021, 10:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know if part 3 and 4 from the diagram should move? Or able to be seperated
Old 06-14-2021, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Yes 3 and 4 should move and be able to be separated, Depending on age you may need to soak them in penetrating oil to get them cleaned up. Also note they are not included in the e-brake rebuild kit that incudes the springs and everything else.
Old 07-07-2024, 12:27 PM
JK Newbie

Great post Plotthound (even tho' you haven't been around since 2015).

I'm trying to change the PRND lamp in my 2007 JKU and my handbrake handle won't raise past 45 degrees so is blocking the removal of the console, I found Plotthound's post & naively thought "Maybe I can do the reverse & access that tab to give me some slack." Unfortunately when I tried, I discovered everything below the e-brake handle was a rusty mess and that tab wouldn't budge, even after some encouragement with a hammer & screwdriver.

So I'm guessing I now have to get the JKU jacked up & the rear wheels & rotors off so I can pull the handbrake lever up all the way, to get the console out & gain access to this little lamp that's burnt. Wow....what a project just to replace a lamp....

Quick Reply: Parking Brake Asembly Question