Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Help! 4WD Shift Knob Removal 2010 JK

Old 10-23-2014, 02:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! 4WD Shift Knob Removal 2010 JK

I am trying to remove my center console to fix the transfer case bushing and cannot remove the 4WD Shift Knob on my 2010 JK. Any tips or tricks to get it off? I tried to pop the top off and remove the retainer bushing and pull off -- no luck. I tried twisting gently w/ a strap wrench -- nothing.

Thanks guys.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Shift to 4 low pull really hard don't hit your self in the face

sent from the pit
Old 10-23-2014, 02:39 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rag or something around the T case shaft if you don't want it scratched, crescent wrench or channel locks of your choice under the knob, tap up with hammer/mallet etc. Like mentioned beware of flying objects
Old 10-23-2014, 04:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rsbair
I am trying to remove my center console to fix the transfer case bushing and cannot remove the 4WD Shift Knob on my 2010 JK. Any tips or tricks to get it off? I tried to pop the top off and remove the retainer bushing and pull off -- no luck. I tried twisting gently w/ a strap wrench -- nothing.

Thanks guys.
Just did this today with a strap wrench. twist slightly and loosen it, it will pop right off. The 4WD knob snapped back in. The 6 speed shift knob, not so much.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:39 PM
JK Newbie

Shift to 4 low and give a hard pull.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know exactly how you feel. I had to replace the same bushing. Get in between your front seats, a leg on each side, then pull the knob like your life depends on it. I found being in the middle the best way because it allows more force.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:08 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by k0260
Rag or something around the T case shaft if you don't want it scratched, crescent wrench or channel locks of your choice under the knob, tap up with hammer/mallet etc. Like mentioned beware of flying objects
This works well--it doesn't take very hard taps, either. But I use a piece of painter's tape around the shaft, and the rag over the knob to keep it from hitting my nose, LOL.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:00 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks everyone. I will give it a try this afternoon. Let you know how it goes and if I break my nose or groin.
Old 07-14-2024, 02:18 PM
JK Newbie

Default 4 wheel drive knob removal - 2024

So I have looked at many videos for how to remove this knob and I tried to follow the steps. I found that it was damn near impossible to just pull off the knob per many of the videos. After I took the knob off, then I could see why. The locking device for this knob is rock solid.

The best video showed how you could remove the knob piece by piece with a flathead screw driver. I said OK, I will try. BS. It did not work either. Specifically because parts of the knob are glued together and using a screw driver does not work. I was stopped again.

So my 2 cents is to just buy a new knob and remove the old one by tearing it apart. A replacement knob is only $18.00 from Amazon. Well worth the price.

See attached picture for the removal steps of the pieces starting from the bottom of the picture and going up:.

- The top portion was easy to remove with a flathead screwdriver.. No problem.
- Remove the round metal clip. Again no problem.
- Cut and remove the rubber surround. Piece of cake with a box cutter.
- Drill small holes in the larger portion of the knob right bellow the 2nd round portion, (4th part from the bottom), since it is glued to the larger portion. Then remove this round portion by using slip joint pliers. This part of the work took the longest since I had to make several holes on the larger portion to loosen the glue as you can see from the picture, .
- Once this glued on portion is removed with the slip joint pliers, there is a small metal clip. Remove it and then you can slide out the last portion of the knob.

My question is, who the F designed this knob to fit on this way. It is damn near impossible to remove the knob no matter how strong you are. Also, I can see that you can damage the linkage by tugging on it so hard, and then you have another problem.

Anyway, this worked for me. After I was done with what I needed to have done, I popped in the new knob on the shifter and I was back on the road. .
Old 07-15-2024, 05:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bcortez12
So I have looked at many videos for how to remove this knob and I tried to follow the steps. I found that it was damn near impossible to just pull off the knob per many of the videos. After I took the knob off, then I could see why. The locking device for this knob is rock solid.

The best video showed how you could remove the knob piece by piece with a flathead screw driver. I said OK, I will try. BS. It did not work either. Specifically because parts of the knob are glued together and using a screw driver does not work. I was stopped again.

So my 2 cents is to just buy a new knob and remove the old one by tearing it apart. A replacement knob is only $18.00 from Amazon. Well worth the price.

See attached picture for the removal steps of the pieces starting from the bottom of the picture and going up:.

- The top portion was easy to remove with a flathead screwdriver.. No problem.
- Remove the round metal clip. Again no problem.
- Cut and remove the rubber surround. Piece of cake with a box cutter.
- Drill small holes in the larger portion of the knob right bellow the 2nd round portion, (4th part from the bottom), since it is glued to the larger portion. Then remove this round portion by using slip joint pliers. This part of the work took the longest since I had to make several holes on the larger portion to loosen the glue as you can see from the picture, .
- Once this glued on portion is removed with the slip joint pliers, there is a small metal clip. Remove it and then you can slide out the last portion of the knob.

My question is, who the F designed this knob to fit on this way. It is damn near impossible to remove the knob no matter how strong you are. Also, I can see that you can damage the linkage by tugging on it so hard, and then you have another problem.

Anyway, this worked for me. After I was done with what I needed to have done, I popped in the new knob on the shifter and I was back on the road. .
The guy who designed that needs to be fired.

If that was my jeep, the old knob would have been replaced by an aluminum one with a couple of big set screws in the side of it. I probably would have kept the cap with the shift pattern legend, but the rest of it would be gone. Thank you for posting the picture & description. Now that I see what's in there, if I ever need to get mine apart, I'll be sure to have a replacement in hand before I start the job.

Quick Reply: Help! 4WD Shift Knob Removal 2010 JK