Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Gap between the dash and windshield

Old 04-01-2013, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gap between the dash and windshield

This weekend I had the truck all packed up for camping. Needed to use a truck. I jumped in the Jeep, tossed the truck keys on the dash, and was ready to back out my 07 Jeep when I noticed the truck key and remote fall behind my dash. Camping trip almost came to a stop. This was my Dad's truck and he was at work. I could not reach them and thought I was going to have to take the dash apart. After fighting with it for some time with a hook I fished out the key. I wonder how may ought six bullets I have back there or any other items I have tossed on the dash while at the camp hunting and such? Can't beleive this was the first time I lost something back there.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the cheap easy mods section. I have pipe insulation tucked in the gap. $5 and no more worries about losing stuff.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Another example of poor jeep quality. They probably have to have the gap because that's how much the cheap jeep frame bends when you hit a serious dip in the road.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by navin r
Another example of poor jeep quality. They probably have to have the gap because that's how much the cheap jeep frame bends when you hit a serious dip in the road.
Or maybe its because the windshield folds down...

Go away troll
Old 04-02-2013, 07:19 AM
blw
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by navin r
That is stupid. It is there because the window is curved AND folds down. I agree it would be nice to engineer it without the gap, but it is not due to poor quality.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Dash Monster

Yeah, my wife did the same thing with the keys. Another vote for the pipe insulation. I bought some at menards that was a smooth rubber texture (unlike
the foam ones). Really worked well and blended in with the dash. Cheap mod and a must! As for Navir R, it's too bad your jeep's biggest enemy is a pothole.

JeepJeremy
Old 04-02-2013, 08:01 AM
JK Junkie

Home Depot or any store similar sells foam pipe insulation for super cheap. I bout a section of black insulation and it blends in perfectly.

I've been using it until I can make something better. Although the foam stays put, as there is a slit in it, it slides right over the edge and hasn't come off in over a year.

There's a guy on here that used PVC pipe on his insulation, drilled holes in the pipe, and routed his defroster vent to blow on entire length of windshield instead of just the middle.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:02 AM
JK Super Freak

my 2011 has a gasket there to fill this void.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:15 AM
JK Freak

I never put anything on my dash that can fall through cause of that reason

First and only thing that has even fell was a pen
The ol lady was filling out a bday card , she put it on the dash (wasn't finished) then pen rolled in . Then had to give the birthday card half filled out lol
Old 04-02-2013, 09:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Noxian
Or maybe its because the windshield folds down...

Go away troll
^^^ Yeah, what he said....

Quick Reply: Gap between the dash and windshield