Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

tranny or computer problem?

Old 11-22-2010, 11:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny or computer problem?

i have an 07 wrangler auto with a 3.5 inch lift and 35s. the check engine light is on and the code id 0841 which is a Transmission Fluid Pressure Sensor/Switch "A" Circuit Range/Performance. also when im going down the highway the tranny will kick off overdrive and stay off untill i shut off the engine. even when i slow down and speed up it still stays in 3rd i believe. i got a superchip thinking it would correct the computer but the jeep place says the computer is erasing the tune as soon as i program it in. has anyone ever experienced anything like this????
Old 11-22-2010, 11:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the description of the code you gave it sounds like a wire could have been ripped off. Did it show up after your last trail run? Otherwise the sensor could have gone bad. Don't have an auto myself and can't get at my books so can't look for where the sensor might me located at. Maybe someone knows where to point you to look for the sensor and possible wireing problem.
Old 11-22-2010, 12:48 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Here is some info for the code you have:

P0841-LR PRESSURE SWITCH RATIONALITY
(LR = Low Reverse)

Theory of Operation

The Transmission system uses three pressure switches to monitor the fluid pressure in the LR, 2/4, and OD elements. The pressure switches are continuously monitored for the correct states in each gear. If a set condition is identified, 1st gear and torque converter lock-up (EMCC) will be inhibited. The vehicle will launch in 2nd gear and shift normally through the gears without allowing EMCC. If during the same key start, the set condition is no longer valid, the transmission will return to normal operation (1st and EMCC available). Limp-in will not occur unless DTC P0841 is accompanied by a code P0706 ( TRANSMISSION RANGE SENSOR RATIONALITY) and the MIL will illuminate after 5 minutes of substituted operation.

• When Monitored: Whenever the engine is running.
  • Set Condition: The DTC is set if one of the pressure switches are open or closed at the wrong time in a given gear. If the problem is identified for 3 successive key starts, the transmission will go into limp-in mode and the MIL will turn on after 10 seconds of vehicle operation.

Possible Causes
RELATED TIPM TCM POWER CONTROL CIRCUIT DTCS PRESENT
LOSS OF PRIME DTC PRESENT
(T50) L/R PRESSURE SIGNAL CIRCUIT OPEN
(T50) L/R PRESSURE SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORT TO GROUND
(T50) L/R PRESSURE SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORT TO VOLTAGE
TRANSMISSION SOLENOID/PRESSURE SWITCH ASSEMBLY
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE
Old 05-04-2024, 10:51 AM
JK Newbie

Couple years late to this but might still apply.

About 8 months ago I replaced my transmission (42RLE) on my 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X (166k miles) with a brand new one. Recently, I've noticed a decrease in power as I leave a stop light or when downshifting it tends to "transmission break" and at times shut off. All other gears, 2nd to 3rd and so forth shift seamlessly.

The only active reading I receive is the "P0841 - Trans Fluid Press sensor/Switch A CKT
Range/Perf" code.

This makes me think it's a wiring/TIPM/TCM issue. Does anyone have any suggestions on a plan of attack? How can I see if some wires stripped, or if my TCM/TIMP is fried?
Old Yesterday, 06:05 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by goose_jku
Couple years late to this but might still apply.

About 8 months ago I replaced my transmission (42RLE) on my 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X (166k miles) with a brand new one. Recently, I've noticed a decrease in power as I leave a stop light or when downshifting it tends to "transmission break" and at times shut off. All other gears, 2nd to 3rd and so forth shift seamlessly.

The only active reading I receive is the "P0841 - Trans Fluid Press sensor/Switch A CKT
Range/Perf" code.

This makes me think it's a wiring/TIPM/TCM issue. Does anyone have any suggestions on a plan of attack? How can I see if some wires stripped, or if my TCM/TIMP is fried?
I am having the same issue. Did you find a solution for this/
Old Yesterday, 08:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MUDDFLAP
I am having the same issue. Did you find a solution for this/
Unfortunately, I had to replace my transmission again. Luckily, it was under warranty and the new transmission has not yet yielded any additional issues.

Quick Reply: tranny or computer problem?