Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Got Shimmy?

Old 05-09-2008, 08:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got Shimmy?

For those of you who have aftermarket wheels and have a steering wheel shimmy, this may help. A freind of mine mentioned to me today that he has a steering wheel shimmy at 45-50 mph in his JK that he hasn't been able to fix, even after having his wheels/tires balanced 4 times. So, he brings it over and we take a look. After inspecting the front end components, everything checked out so we took off his front wheels. Turns out the tire shop who installed his wheels/tires didn't remove the retaining washers (star washers) on the wheel studs when they installed his aftermarket wheels. I had the same problem on a Silverado I had a few years ago, took me a few trips back for balancing issues before I figured it out. If the back side (mounting surface) of your wheel is flat, and not recessed around the lug hole like the OEM wheels are, the wheel will not seat flush against the rotor when the wheel is mounted causing a slight canter (angle) and give the same symptoms as out of balance wheels. We removed the washers, remounted the wheels, and now it drives like a diferent Jeep. So, if your having balancing/steering issues, take a look behind your aftermarket wheels and see if the washers are installed. Makes a huge difference.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:20 PM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nukeman
For those of you who have aftermarket wheels and have a steering wheel shimmy, this may help. A freind of mine mentioned to me today that he has a steering wheel shimmy at 45-50 mph in his JK that he hasn't been able to fix, even after having his wheels/tires balanced 4 times. So, he brings it over and we take a look. After inspecting the front end components, everything checked out so we took off his front wheels. Turns out the tire shop who installed his wheels/tires didn't remove the retaining washers (star washers) on the wheel studs when they installed his aftermarket wheels. I had the same problem on a Silverado I had a few years ago, took me a few trips back for balancing issues before I figured it out. If the back side (mounting surface) of your wheel is flat, and not recessed around the lug hole like the OEM wheels are, the wheel will not seat flush against the rotor when the wheel is mounted causing a slight canter (angle) and give the same symptoms as out of balance wheels. We removed the washers, remounted the wheels, and now it drives like a diferent Jeep. So, if your having balancing/steering issues, take a look behind your aftermarket wheels and see if the washers are installed. Makes a huge difference.
Nice find! This should be put into a sticky somewhere.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Way to go Nukeman! I just installed new wheels and the spec sheet that came with them told me to do the same thing. The after market wheels do not have the cutouts near the stud holes that the factory ones do. I also removed the star nuts off of mine yesterday. Great post!
Old 05-10-2008, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've gotten 5 PM's about this so far. Sounds like tire shops aren't removing these.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

If there isn't a recess around the stud hole on the backside (mounting side) of the spacer to allow for clearance of of the washers, then I would say yes.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:14 PM
JK Freak

how many of you guys have done this and had it work? I might have to do this tomorrow, but my question is why are they there is the first place
Old 09-15-2008, 05:16 AM
JK Junkie

Interesting find... I will check for this tonight as I have the same symptoms at about 40mph after installing 33" KM2's and AEV Pintler wheels.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:12 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by hyatt147
how many of you guys have done this and had it work? I might have to do this tomorrow, but my question is why are they there is the first place
They are installed so while being built they can go through the line without anything falling off....

Quick Reply: Got Shimmy?