Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

Transfer Case Noise

Old 06-20-2022, 05:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transfer Case Noise

My jeep developed a new noise over the weekend that I'm having a hard time diagnosing. When the transmission is in 4th 5th or 6th gear I am hearing a load rattling noise (similar to cards on a bicycle spoke), while driving I only hear it when I'm on the accelerator. This morning I decided to put the transfer case into neutral and put it in 6th gear, when I called under it, the noise sounded like it was coming directly from the transfer case. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to how the t-case works, what is spinning when its in neutral that could cause such a sound?
Old 06-20-2022, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 471 Likes on 423 Posts

You should intro yourself first prior to looking for very hard to diagnose information. Only thing spinning in the case when it is in neutral and vehicle staionary will be the input system up to the decoupler for neutral. 4th 5th or 6th gear sounds like a gearbox issue not a TC issue otherwise the case would make noise in all the gears. Hopefully you have used the correct and expensive oil in the transmission.
Old 12-15-2023, 06:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did you fix

[

Did you resolve the problem. My 07 jk doing same thingQUOTE=chargerlax14;4394537]My jeep developed a new noise over the weekend that I'm having a hard time diagnosing. When the transmission is in 4th 5th or 6th gear I am hearing a load rattling noise (similar to cards on a bicycle spoke), while driving I only hear it when I'm on the accelerator. This morning I decided to put the transfer case into neutral and put it in 6th gear, when I called under it, the noise sounded like it was coming directly from the transfer case. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to how the t-case works, what is spinning when its in neutral that could cause such a sound?[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: Transfer Case Noise