Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

p3069 code with traction control light

Old 06-26-2024, 09:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry p3069 code with traction control light

2013 jku keep getting p3069 camshaft sensor bank 1, replaced with sensor from local auto parts store, but code still comes back any ideas. I did look it up and seen several people have had same issue help supposed to go to Tennessee next week
Old 06-26-2024, 12:34 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,858 Likes on 1,627 Posts

I have a thread on this. after battling it for almost 4 years now I have found the solution, for myself at least. Try changing to 5W30 oil. it's almost NEVER the sensor itself. The main issue is that the VVT system is completely dependent on oil pressure and I think that 5W20 is just too damn thin, especially when the oil really heats up. It only takes a little skip on the pressure for the pin in the cam phaser to not actuate when the computer wants the phaser to. You can read through my thread, but I have a ton of experience battling this code for a long time now and I know how hard it is to find sources even of people following up on this. Also, the dealers will NEVER tell you that their recommended oil weight is what the issue is, though I also think it goes against their training to even question that so it's just load up the parts cannon and start throwing things at it. Anyhow, trying 5W30 is inexpensive and non-intrusive to try at the very least. I probably have 5k+ miles on now with three 14hr+ road trips and several hundred miles towing trailer as well. Not a single code since going to 5W30.

Here's my thread should you care to read -
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...g-saga-361310/
Old 06-26-2024, 01:08 PM
JK Newbie

Angry

Originally Posted by resharp001
I have a thread on this. after battling it for almost 4 years now I have found the solution, for myself at least. Try changing to 5W30 oil. it's almost NEVER the sensor itself. The main issue is that the VVT system is completely dependent on oil pressure and I think that 5W20 is just too damn thin, especially when the oil really heats up. It only takes a little skip on the pressure for the pin in the cam phaser to not actuate when the computer wants the phaser to. You can read through my thread, but I have a ton of experience battling this code for a long time now and I know how hard it is to find sources even of people following up on this. Also, the dealers will NEVER tell you that their recommended oil weight is what the issue is, though I also think it goes against their training to even question that so it's just load up the parts cannon and start throwing things at it. Anyhow, trying 5W30 is inexpensive and non-intrusive to try at the very least. I probably have 5k+ miles on now with three 14hr+ road trips and several hundred miles towing trailer as well. Not a single code since going to 5W30.

Here's my thread should you care to read -
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...g-saga-361310/
just changed oil today to 5w30. Same stupid light
Old 06-26-2024, 04:09 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Do you have Jscan app? there is a cam phaser cleaning function in there. really it's just flushing oil through the oil control valve but it's worth doing if you have it. If oil is not solution, I'd start with the path of least resistance of things on the list, and to me that would be the electrical connection cuz it at least doesn't require you to pull valve covers. there are videos that will show how to test that electrical harness. If the code throwing almost immediately when you start up or is it only after driving and is more situational?
Old 06-27-2024, 02:54 AM
JK Newbie

dont have a j scan but going to get the reader today, after reset it will come on after a few minutes of driving through town. I think its a bit faster if engine is hot. I will look for video how to test harness. and see if their is a way to test the sensor. it looks almost as fun to replace as the dam oil filter housing. lol (lower back is fused).
so far in last month new oil filter housing, axel u joint, cam shaft sensor, oil change to 5/w30.
Thanks for the hints I will keep trying supposed to go see our son in Kentucky/Tennessee and go take our jeeps out to the trails around him next week
Old 06-27-2024, 06:01 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

if it's not coming on immediately at startup, but it's coming on pretty quickly on a drive, then i'd think there's a good chance it's either electrical or the phaser itself. if it was on immediately at start up i'd start thinking that a tone ring on camshaft walked somehow, which seems impossible but it does appear to happen cuz there are several videos and an actual tool to measure things. Though you'll see people talk about phasers being a wear item, there's just not much to those things. there is a single pin in there that moves back and forth with oil pressure. what I do think is more likely on a '13 is wiring that has deteriorated. I hope it's just wiring for you as that would be an easy repair. I don't think it's the ground cuz the ground is shared not only between both bank 1 and 2, but a few other things in that larger wiring loom.

there are videos that will show you how to test the sensor itself, but most of them will show you with the valve cover off and moving the sensor close to or far away from the tone ring. i just think it's much less common that these sensors themselves actually fail. they are really doing very little.
Old 06-27-2024, 07:44 AM
JK Newbie

im going to see if there is away to test harness and looks like i have to order obd2 reader only one i could find here came with its own software
Old 06-27-2024, 06:51 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

if I recall, this guy is correct in that 3 of the 4 pins in that harness should read 5v. one of the middle pins is a shared ground and should not read anything. if you have a multimeter that would be my next step. key in ACC position so it's feeding power to things.
The following users liked this post:
Jay2013jk (Yesterday)
Old Today, 06:30 AM
JK Newbie

climbed my fat but up on jeep and tested harness, unluckily it tested good we even moved harness around while testing and it stayed good. that would of been a easy fix. OBD reader comes today we'll go from there

Quick Reply: p3069 code with traction control light