Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

Old Jeeper, New to JKs

Old 07-25-2024, 08:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Jeeper, New to JKs

Hey folks! Just wanted to introduce myself. Some may recognize my handle from other various Jeep pages and forums. I finally broke down and picked up a JKU, so I figured I'd make a log-in here so I can ask questions and keep track of my build

My signature has some of my old Jeep projects as links, feel free to take a look. It seems like my pattern is to decide on a build plan, run and enjoy that for a while, then have a big change(s) in life plans or something similar, which then forces me to rethink what I'm doing. For example, when I was building my TJ, I was right in the process of swapping in a Hemi and doing a TJ-6 conversion...

...then we decided to move back east (to NEPA). I figured the best solution was to sell my RamCharger project and build an LJ. It was a good call, the LJ was (is!) fun and worked great for years.

This time around, it wasn't a big life change, but rather a bunch of smaller life changes instead. My son and his buddies are growing and growing (like teenagers tend to do), and my photography side gig has grown extremely busy (I'm a full time Environmental Manager). I also find myself driving more and more for work; I've always been a traveler, but in my new job I'm *mostly* on the east/mid-west, so I'm driving more than I am flying. As a result, the LJ was simply not cutting it anymore. I thought about getting a new Ram Power Wagon (or Rebel 2500) but couldn't justify spending $86,000+ for a vehicle I only drive 2500-3500 miles per year. Also, admittedly, I still just love to tinker and build stuff...

Since we live in the country, with a big, steep, and often ice-covered driveway in the winter (plus we are big into skiing and winter sports), we recently got my daughter a 2010 JKU Islander Edition (Oh the irony!!!). Getting that caught up on maintenance and other "necessities" (e.g., a backup camera, heavy duty floor mats, Carplay radio, etc.) has certainly warmed me up to the JKU platform. They're surprisingly easy to work on, despite what some Facebook Warriors think, and the space of a JKU is hard to beat for my needs (usually hauling a bunch of flashes, camera gear, stands, etc.). Having test drove a bunch of JKs when we were looking for my daughter's Jeep, I knew that the earlier interiors actually fit me much better and were more comfortable (I'm a big guy, 6'3" and a former D1 defensive lineman).

I ended up finding a 2008 JKU Sport with 209k highway miles that was recently brought up from Florida. A guy bought it at auction for his wife, to quickly find out that she was pregnant and hated driving the Jeep. I got it for a great price ($6500) and other than being absolutely filthy inside, it runs like a top (sans some brake squeal and tire wobble).

Filth from the door panel... just the panel!

I'll put together a build page soon, but generally my plans are to get it on a decent set of axles and 35"s for the short term (to get me through the upcoming sports season and winter), while I start gathering parts and find a good 5.7/ZF combo for the swap (swap will happen at end of winter/early spring). After that, I'll do some soul searching and build a proper set of big boy axles (at which point the short term lift, axles, and 35"s will go to my daughter's Jeep, which at that point will likely become my son's Jeep as she heads off to college). Whatever the 2+ year plan turns out to be, I need to duplicate the LJ build in the short term to keep my happy on the local trails and winter roads
Old 07-25-2024, 08:43 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,686 Posts

Welcome to the forum! It's nice to see that JKU is gonna get a new lease on life. I'm always shocked at the condition of some interiors and how people live. How could the previous owner let it be like that for his pregnant wife?? I really like the JK platform myself and it was the perfect improvement over the TJ platform IMO, without taking it as far as where they continued with the JLs. I'm a JK for life'er.
The following users liked this post:
pc1p (07-25-2024)
Old 07-25-2024, 10:33 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Welcome to the forum! It's nice to see that JKU is gonna get a new lease on life. I'm always shocked at the condition of some interiors and how people live. How could the previous owner let it be like that for his pregnant wife?? I really like the JK platform myself and it was the perfect improvement over the TJ platform IMO, without taking it as far as where they continued with the JLs. I'm a JK for life'er.
Agreed - it was not only disgusting for his wife, but it certainly factored into my offer when I decided that I wanted it. It was on Marketplace for about 6 weeks and he kept dropping the price every week or so. With a quick detail job (I did it in about 3 hours), adding a little air in the front tire to get the TPMS light off (it was ~5 psi low!), and spending 30 seconds on Google learning how to reset the "Change Oil" notification on the dash panel, he easily could have gotten even more than his original asking price, being that this is from Florida and is rust free - a big selling point here in PA.

But, I'm glad he left it how it was as I got a much better deal than I was expecting
Old 07-25-2024, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 398 Likes on 373 Posts

Welcome .. Looks like you made a very good deal. It looks very nice after your "elbow grease". Like your writing, good narrative.
The following users liked this post:
pc1p (07-25-2024)

Quick Reply: Old Jeeper, New to JKs