Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

New Member from Steel City

Old 07-03-2013, 07:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member from Steel City

Hi Everyone,

I'm very excited to be a part of the Jeep family with my new 2013 JKU Moab. I had an '08 Sahara a few years ago that I ended up trading, and I missed my Jeep so much I had to get back to it. I thought the Moab was a happy-middle ground between the Rubi and the Sahara that would let me enjoy the road on my commute as well as some off-road fun. I'm not really sure what direction I'm going to head with the mods, but I've already got the itch. I'd like to get some serious off-roading in eventually, but unfortunately, I spend most of my days at work (to start paying for everything I hope to do) so hopefully I'll find the time to be more than a commuter/mall-crawler.

I have to give immediate kudos to this forum. I struggled to find this vehicle with all the features I wanted. I wanted some rugged luxury and I ended up finding this one with everything but the nav. I wanted the 730N RHR unit to upgrade my UConnect 130, but the dealer was adamant that it was not an option to be added after-the-fact. Even after convincing them that it was a listed option on Jeep's website and their own brochures, they were going to charge me an arm and a leg for the unit and the install. Thanks to this forum, I gained the courage to attempt this upgrade myself. The 730N unit along with the Mopar adapter kit, part #82212906, made this very easy and is working beautifully. I even also considered trying the Commander backup camera mod/install and went as far as ordering the part. Though, after I got it, I ended up returning it. I felt like this was a silly upgrade considering my tube steel bumpers would protect me from any accidental 'bumps'.

As you can see from my pics, one of the other first things I did was replace my fender flares with the Bushwacker Pocket-style flares. I realize this isn't typically at the top of the list for most, but I really wanted to be rid of my stock plastic fenders (don't like the look or the chalking). So I was set on either going the painted route or to replace with a metal flare. Unfortunately, I think I jumped the gun, because after I had these professionally painted and installed, I decided that I like the tube flare look better. So, I'm going to have to try to sell these guys now (let me know if anyone's interested).

So, upcoming mods I'm considering:

First, replacing my fenders (again). I'm looking at the Warrior diamond plate black steel tube flares. I think I want to go with the 10" to keep the law off me, and this will allow me to maintain coverage when upgrading my tire size. I have also been looking at the ACE and the PSCs.

So, second, I am starting to research tire size increases. Not sure that I want to add a lift, but I am thinking about the 1.5" Spyder spacers with 35" Duratracs. I like my black 17" wheels, so I plan on keeping them. I guess I also need to look into what programmer to use once I up the tire size.

Thirdly, eventually I'd like to put in a CAI. I know I shouldn't expect much if any power gains, but I like the look and I love the sound. Tossing between the Airaid MXP and the Volant. Both have the enclosed box to help prevent any hydro-locking/water issues. I'd like some opinions on which one is the better option. Not sure how I feel about cutting the stock air scoop for the Airaid, but should I be concerned with the air intake of the Volant being on the side of the box behind the headlight?

And, I'll eventually look at upgrading my exhaust. Lots of snow and salt in my neck of the world, so I expect the stock muffler to get beat up over the next couple winters and will need a stainless replacement.

Wow, just realized I wrote a whole bunch there. Anyways, excited to be a part. Looking forward to the discussions and advice.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	JeepThumb2.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	474551   Click image for larger version

Name:	JeepThumb1.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	474552  

Quick Reply: New Member from Steel City