Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

New member. New to jeeps. ? On lifts for a 2010 jk 4 door

Old 08-20-2024, 03:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I’ve seen the bolt up type a the welded ones. Welded would be better for sure. I will look into them.

Old 08-20-2024, 03:04 PM
JK Newbie

Make pavement life easier how is that? Again I’m learning about these jk’s
i contacted rough country asking if I needed anything else with the lift I purchased. . An I was told nothing else is needed. No control arms,track bar, anything. I know they are just customer service or sales rep. But are the brackets and or control arms absolutely needed. If so I don’t mind purchasing them. Just don’t want to spend money where it isn’t needed or going to gain annything unless I have to.
Old 08-21-2024, 04:50 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Originally Posted by D.cain83
i contacted rough country asking if I needed anything else with the lift I purchased. . An I was told nothing else is needed. No control arms,track bar, anything.
and this is precisely why so many wranglers on the road have so many issues. people think you can lift a jeep for $3-700. they chaulk it all up to "it's a jeep, it's supposed to drive like that!" Everything is intertwined. Change one thing and you alter a whole host of other things that are all trying to work together as intended. That RC sales rep is almost as knowledgeable as a chocolate teapot.

But are the brackets and or control arms absolutely needed. If so I don’t mind purchasing them. Just don’t want to spend money where it isn’t needed or going to gain annything unless I have to.
I mean, could say to simply weld solid tube from the axle to frame and that would make shocks and springs not necessary.....it would still drive down the road, but the ride quality would be less than ideal I'm not trying to be snarky. i realize that everyone has a different purpose with their vehicle. the bottom line is all this stuff does matter, but it might not matter for everyone. I am an advocate for doing things the right way. that might not be what you really need out of this vehicle.

if you're just using that thing as a hunting rig, whatever, no. you can build an awesome rock crawler and ignore most stuff that other jeeps have to focus on cuz it's gonna be moving 15mph off road only, so nothing on the pavement matters, if that makes sense. If you're using that for hunting and getting to/from hunting locations off the pavement, none of it matters. if you're using it as a DD, or you're driving hours on the pavement to get to where you're going on long hunting trips, then it starts to matter a bit more......but if you threw a set of 2.5" spring, shocks, and 4 little brack line drop brackets on it and nothing else, you're far from control arm brackets being some magic component.

I still can't quite figure why you think those 4 springs and 4 shocks you bought are better than what you had on there to start with. money would have been better spent on a couple different components. what you purchased is literally not going to make any difference at all performance wise. if anything, might net you a bit more lift which will make your front driveshaft angle at the transfer case steeper. What i think doesn't matter though.

not sure what backspace those wheels have but you're going to want 4.5" BS, 5" at a minimum, for 35s. you may need to get some wheel adapters if you have clearance issues at full turn or with tires stuffed in the wheel well.

here's the logic in flattening control arm angles. excuse the rudimentary sketch. when you lift, the control arm angles get steeper. when you hit bumps or potholes or things in the road, the forces are more jarring as they are transferred up into the frame at that steep angle. when you can flatten them out more the control arms are able to transfer that energy into the frame in a bit more comfortable manner. the bigger thing however is control arm brackets also allow you to rotate that axle back and raise your caster, which has a significant impact on the quality of your steering. if you don't understand caster, there are all sorts of YouTube videos with good explanations. The bicycle examples are the best cuz they are simple things and it is easy to see the huge difference changing the angle of the front forks (caster angle) makes to the rideability of the bike.

The following users liked this post:
D.cain83 (08-21-2024)
Old 08-21-2024, 09:36 AM
JK Newbie

Yes the jeep will be used for hunting. No massive articulation or flexing it. and it’s not my dd but i will cruise in it some the kids like it !!!
I’m looking at buying wheels for it now. With the minimum of 4.5 backspacing .
even with the 2.5 lift caster correction is needed.
#1 drop bracket being the easier cheaper way
#2 adjustable control arms being lil more expensive an longer to install. But better of the 2 options
#3 now that I need the caster correction which is better for my application bracket/adjustabkes or is it just personal preference?
#4 will the rear need anything to correct pinion angle?
#5 will the axles be off center enough to need track bars to correct them. Or will it be fine. With the lift.

I do want it to drive a ride descent well overall be safe since my children will be in it also at times.
I believe I’ve made a mistake buying the rc lift but I’m going to run with it a see how i like it. I can always change it out later to something else.
Old 08-21-2024, 10:18 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

#2 adjustable control arms being lil more expensive an longer to install. But better of the 2 options
#3 now that I need the caster correction which is better for my application bracket/adjustabkes or is it just personal preference?
"better" is all relative. what is better for some is not better for others. for you, i'd say control arm brackets because they will allow you to adjust caster AND provide a more comfortable ride. with adjustable control arms you can adjust caster, but you still have that steeper control arm angle to deal with. Most folks going the control arm route are doing more technical offroading don't want to sacrifice the ground clearance at the frame rails when in rocks n such. this is one of those things you can't have your cake and eat it too. those brackets are just going to be a better option for you. if you really wanted, get the springs under it and drive it a bit. i'd wager a guess those springs put you around 3" netted lift, which probably puts your caster around 3.2°, guestimating. caster from factory is 4.2°. realistically, that is about where you are currently without knowing it. the jeep drives as it drives and that is just how you know it to be. you could live with it, but for the small price the brackets are, i think they're worthwhile. just up to you.

#4 will the rear need anything to correct pinion angle?
on the 4dr wheelbase, that rear DS angle is more accommodating. with a CV joint at both ends the rear pinion angle isn't near as important as the front. what happens in the front is the boot that protects the CV joint at the TC side will rip, spew grease under the tub, and allow the joint to dry out. you'll hear the common clicking and you'll see the line of grease under the tub. this is just a thing. seen it happen on jeeps that haven't left pavement even. doesn't mean it WILL happen to you ever, but it could so just be aware. if you ever do hear some clicking from the DS you have a plenty of time to get it addressed. It's not an urgent thing.

#5 will the axles be off center enough to need track bars to correct them. Or will it be fine. With the lift.
this is just a thing too. your front will be shifted to the driver's side, the rear to the passenger side. in the rear, you may already have a raised bracket on the axle. if you do, that will help both with repositioning the axle AND with raising your roll center. Ideally you want to keep those TB angles flatter (we always want to raise the axle side mounts rather than lowering frame side.....it will always be better in our application with a jeep....not what these companies like RC often do with pickups). if you don't have a bracket on the rear axle from the previous lift, they are pretty cheap. the rear TB itself is not an overly important component. in the front, it is one of the most important components on the vehicle. you will be fine driving with the axle shifted that small bit, but it is nice to have be correct. if you ever do get around to buying a front TB, I can't urge you enough to get something that is quality, and something that uses a non-metal bushing at both ends (i prefer metalcloak, synergy, or just something similar to the type of bushings they use....I'm sure others are doing that now as well). bad TB joints and/or loose TB bolts are the cause of many death wobbles, and those can be extremely dangerous occurrences in the wrong situation on the road.

I believe I’ve made a mistake buying the rc lift but I’m going to run with it a see how i like it. I can always change it out later to something else.
i try to be really patient and not just hammer people like the internet can often do. just see so much over the years that sometimes it can be hard to be patient. this is one of those things that you don't know what you don't know till your waste deep. it can be both frustrating and expensive. I've lived through it all myself back in the day. i have downtime at work and I'm not shy to throw information and opinions out there, but at the end of the day it's up to each individual to make their own decisions based on information available. springs simply hold that frame up. they'll be fine. the shocks....you know my opinion but they'll likely be fine. i would have gone a different route but none of that matters.

if you like the wheels on it, there is nothing wrong with a quality set of adapters like a spidertrax that would allow you to fit the tire you want. saves a lot of money over different wheels. you may just want a different look though, idk.

D.cain83 (08-21-2024)
Old 08-21-2024, 03:42 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the info. I will get the bracket a drive it like u mentioned a see how it goes.
The wheels I’m going to order some pro comp series 1069 wheels in 17x9 with the back spacing.
eventually I will get all the proper parts for a comfortable ride.
idk this jeep thing was so expensive an a bad bug to get.. it all started out wanting a 2500-3500 dollar hunting rig nothing fancy. But yet here I am now. I’ve owned the jeep maybe 3 weeks. So if I sound very uneducated with jeeps it’s because I am lol.
are the Hooke off-road bumper an step bars any good .
Old 08-22-2024, 06:20 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

when it comes to steps or rocker "bars" you have 2 different things. you have things that are hardcore "sliders" which are beefy, high quality, and expensive protection for those that play in big rocks and do technical offroading, and then there is everything else. In the "everything else" category, quality is all about the same, primarily a functional step with various aesthetics that are subjective to the owner. I'd put Hooke right there with "everything else", but for what your use that is just fine. I would just pick something that you like the look of and you find priced to your liking. Certainly not saying that the "everything else" category will crumble if hit on something, but typically they are thinner wall tubes that will take a dent if come down hard on a rock. you might even check facebook marketplace or craigslist around you. nothing wrong with 2nd hand if it fits the bill.
D.cain83 (08-22-2024)

Quick Reply: New member. New to jeeps. ? On lifts for a 2010 jk 4 door