Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

Drag link hitting steering stabilizer with flip kit

Old 04-16-2023, 03:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drag link hitting steering stabilizer with flip kit

Hey there. A couple of weeks ago I hit my factory SS while off-roading which damaged it enough for me to need to replace it. To avoid this issue again I decided to buy a flip kit for my new SS, however when I turn all the way to the right the drag link makes contact with the SS. Have I installed this wrong or do I have a compatibility issue? It’s a Bilstein SS and a Rough Country flip kit. My Jeep has the AEV 2.5” lift too. Thanks

Old 04-17-2023, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 476 Likes on 427 Posts

Picture angle may change this idea but I would flip that bolt at the bracket to make the excess threads and nut face down. I use a stock SS mount on my MC 2.5" lift with no issues. Not sure why you have problems.
Old 04-17-2023, 08:24 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,692 Posts

Man, RC can't even give ya 2 flanges to sandwich that SS between.

To be fair, this is one of those things that fitment will vary based on lift height and whatnot. Most of the relocate brackets are going to put it right about the same spot. If the jeep were telling a simple fix would be going to a high-steer kit (drag link flip), but you're not lifted enough so that would only create bigger issues for you on top of lightening your wallet even more. Are you making a full turn at contact? If so, one cheap solution would just be a couple washers in your steering stop in the knuckles just to limit that a smidge. I've run like that for years.

Though it's not part of the interference in your situation, rule of thumb is usually to install things with bolt down when possible. The thought process there is if nut does work loose and falls off, the bolt is hanging and still there rather than the bolt falling to the ground as well. It's not always possible to install things like that, but when you can it's good practice IMO.
Old 04-17-2023, 11:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I flipped the bolt and it still had the same result. However I did remember that I still have the factor track bar in with my lift, so my axle is shifted about a half inch to the driver side. Do you think that if I get an adjustable track bar and center the axle it would free up some space and not make contact? And I will definitely be sure to flip the bolt around when I install it again.
Old 04-17-2023, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 476 Likes on 427 Posts

Looks like there is room to move the stabiliser shock end towards the axle about 3/16 to 1/4" and that should take care of it. You will need to remove the bracket, fill the side of the bolt hole closest to DL then grind out on the other side then leave it a little undersized and finish with a drill bit to make the hole nice and round with snug bolt fit.

Quick Reply: Drag link hitting steering stabilizer with flip kit