Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

Coolant / noise question

Old 04-02-2020, 05:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant / noise question

New guy w some questions. 2009 Wrangler X w the 3.8 V6, Jeep smells like coolant once hot and there’s some noise like maybe sticking valve or vacuum hose off. Only does it when hot. What should I look at first?

Last edited by Gregory Scott Shaylor; 04-02-2020 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Forgot to post year
Old 04-02-2020, 06:51 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

So others don't have to look, profile shows we're dealing with a 2009.

talking that you smell it and hear a noise inside the cab, or just in the engine bay? The noise is a bit more interesting. Common issues on our JKs, both 3.8L and 3.6L are the radiators leaking where the fins meet the sides, often the driver's side. I had one leak there myself. You can't visually see it til you break everything down. I was losing coolant regularly and would smell it. Even though it passed pressure tests there was indeed a leak at those fins. Thermostat housings are a common issue as well, and heater cores inside the cab. Last thing I can think of for that 3.8L is the lower intake manifold gasket, but with that you will usually see big leaks.
The following users liked this post:
Gregory Scott Shaylor (04-02-2020)

Quick Reply: Coolant / noise question