Notices
The New Member Registry If you're new to JK-Forum.com, please take a moment to sign-in, introduce yourself and show us your Jeep JK Wrangler!!

Coil Lifts/ Spacers / Clearance

Old 08-04-2014, 06:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil Lifts/ Spacers / Clearance

Was wondering the risks of putting on a coil lift or spacers. Parents won't let me get an actual lift (gay), so trying to get some clearance without putting on a lift. Any Suggestions?
Old 08-04-2014, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chasehend7
Was wondering the risks of putting on a coil lift or spacers. Parents won't let me get an actual lift (gay), so trying to get some clearance without putting on a lift. Any Suggestions?
Well that sucks lol....look on the bright side though, at least you have a Jeep! As far risks, don't know exactly why you're parents won't allow it other than probably hearing horror stories of higher center of gravity (roll overs), or maybe they think lifts will lower resale value (who knows). Best thing you can do is go out there and find yourself bigger tires that'll still fit without a lifted suspension. These things stock with a little bigger tire do some pretty amazing things. There are plenty of threads on that exact topic. Or, maybe try and sell to your parents that you could put on a shorter lift (say 2.5") and get yourself 1.5" wheel spacers so you'd be 3" wider than stock and only 2.5" taller. (Whatever works.) Good luck!
Old 08-04-2014, 06:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Tatonka456
Well that sucks lol....look on the bright side though, at least you have a Jeep! As far risks, don't know exactly why you're parents won't allow it other than probably hearing horror stories of higher center of gravity (roll overs), or maybe they think lifts will lower resale value (who knows). Best thing you can do is go out there and find yourself bigger tires that'll still fit without a lifted suspension. These things stock with a little bigger tire do some pretty amazing things. There are plenty of threads on that exact topic. Or, maybe try and sell to your parents that you could put on a shorter lift (say 2.5") and get yourself 1.5" wheel spacers so you'd be 3" wider than stock and only 2.5" taller. (Whatever works.) Good luck!
Really just wanting to make my jeep look taller, that's my biggest thing. Until I have the title in my hands a lift isn't happening more than likely
Old 08-04-2014, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Really just wanting to make my jeep look taller, that's my biggest thing. Until I have the title in my hands a lift isn't happening more than likely
Well tires sounds like your only option. Anything else (springs, pucks, spacers) would technically be a lift. Maybe you'll have luck convincing them a simple leveling kit won't do much harm...(2 front spacers, 2 rear spacers, and 2 longer sway bar links all for around $150) and you'd be good to go.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:35 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Flat fenders, 1.5" wheel adapters, and 35" tires will do the trick with no lift needed. It will raise your actual ground clearance about 2" and look like you have a 4" lift. It will look way better then a lift and the factory tires. Your ride will be more stable both on road and off with the extra width and the bigger tires (look for a C rated tire) should ride better.

Last edited by TheDirtman; 08-04-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:48 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Flat fenders, 1.5" wheel adapters, and 35" tires will do the trick with no lift needed. It will raise your actual ground clearance about 2" and look like you have a 4" lift. It will look way better then a lift and the factory tires. Your ride will be more stable both on road and off with the extra width and the bigger tires (look for a C rated tire) should ride better.
is there any reason for me to just get coil spacers if I'm not looking to get fenders anytime soon?
Old 08-04-2014, 09:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Oh yeah, what he said! And cutting your fenders is free, even better.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:12 PM
JK Newbie

My Rubi 4-door would rub on the rock rails with no lift and 35x12.5 17 tires on a -6 offset. Might need some bump stops to limit coil travel or 2" spacers will do the trick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Old 08-05-2014, 05:48 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

is there any reason for me to just get coil spacers if I'm not looking to get fenders anytime soon?
Coil spacers is a lift, I thought you were not allowed to lift it?

Quick Reply: Coil Lifts/ Spacers / Clearance