Notices
New England If you live in the New England area (Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Tolland MA Trail Run: November 3rd - BE THERE.

Old 10-18-2007, 11:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Count me in as well.
I'm really looking forward to it.
I have a CB that I can throw in my ride just for the occasion (been meanin' to stick it in there anyway).
I'll bring my camera along also.

HEK!!!
It's good to see you're still around man.
Hope you can make it.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:19 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BUMP.

There'll be plenty of bumps, rocks, and good times in Tolland on November 3rd. Anyone else care to join us all? We still have room for 1 or 2 more...

The specifics are already posted in this thread... be at Tolland town hall at 11 AM - we leave at 11:30 AM sharp.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:29 AM
JK Freak

Default I'll be there

with rings on my fingers, bells on my toes, and new Shrockworks sliders!

Expecting my nephew and maybe another TJ, too.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:32 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by scottcarp
with rings on my fingers, bells on my toes, and new Shrockworks sliders!

Expecting my nephew and maybe another TJ, too.
Man - seems like everytime you post, you've added another mod! I'm jealous already, and can't wait to see your Jeep "grown up" in person.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ill be there just concerned about alot of mud is there? dealer gave me hell because of the trowout bearing being covered in mud, not concerned with rocks because i haven't bottomed out yet. Also i have a friend that has a stock tj 4 cylinder that maybe will come his tires suck though would that be an issue on this ride? Missed the last trip can't wait to meet the guys who wheel so close to my home.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:29 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by SHADOWMAN024
Ill be there just concerned about alot of mud is there? dealer gave me hell because of the trowout bearing being covered in mud, not concerned with rocks because i haven't bottomed out yet. Also i have a friend that has a stock tj 4 cylinder that maybe will come his tires suck though would that be an issue on this ride? Missed the last trip can't wait to meet the guys who wheel so close to my home.
As far as mud goes, it totally depends on how much rain we get between now and then... last time it was nearly bone dry.

Your friend is welcome to join us, of course. His tires should be fine, I'll assume. When you say they suck, what are we talking about? I mean, I'm running my stock 32" Goodyears, and they can handle the trails no sweat... I would assume that anything besides completely-bald donuts would do just fine.

Just to reiterate and save you some reading: this trail is NOT some super-tough rock-crawling challenge - more of a cool mix between scenic wheeling and a bit of more challenging stuff.
Old 10-24-2007, 03:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great ill tell him i dont think that there completley bald but there stock tires that came with the jeep over 30000 miles ago, so they should do alright also he has no spare don't know if that will be a problem? But hopefully it will dry out alittle because the dealer says that they won't cover anymore problems from mudding, what a crock right...
Old 10-24-2007, 05:18 PM
JK Freak

Great ill tell him i dont think that there completley bald but there stock tires that came with the jeep over 30000 miles ago, so they should do alright also he has no spare don't know if that will be a problem? But hopefully it will dry out alittle because the dealer says that they won't cover anymore problems from mudding, what a crock right...
It's important to wash the underside after wheeling. I leave mud on the body for as long as possible. It keeps the neighbors away
Old 10-25-2007, 03:57 AM
JK Junkie

Exclamation SHADOWMAN: Please rethink your friend's situation...

Well, can't say for sure that there won't be mud, but I'll caution you that there WILL be at least one or two water crossings... while the water won't be hood-deep or anything, you should be aware of that potential risk. You won't need a snorkel or anything like that, but if you're super concerned about mud and water, you can make the decision if it's worth the risk. Like ScottCarp said, it's important to wash off the undercarriage after the run - you don't want lots of mud and whatnot clogging and drying in mechanical places.

As far as your friend's tire situation, SHADOWMAN024, I'm frankly a little concerned that he doesn't have a spare. While I don't want to be a d1ck about it and say "No, he can't come," I do want to STRONGLY urge that he have a spare. There was recently a thread on the need to carry a full-size spare, and to quote one succinct point, "I'd feel really bad when he starves to death on the trail."

Meaning: If he gets stuck for lack of traction, we can pull him out - no issue there. But what if he gets a flat? None of us JKs can lend him our spares, because we run a different lug pattern than the TJs... if he blows one of his 4 tires, that leaves him with only three, and how in the world are we supposed to get him out then, without major damage to his (and possibly our) Jeep? So, he'd (potentially) either have to catch a ride with someone that has room, and leave his Jeep behind (NO!!!!), or stay with it and stay stuck out on the trail...

Again, I don't want to be the bad guy, but I'd really prefer if he had a spare. There will be other TJs/LJs there, but you can't count on them not needing their spares... expect the worst, hope for the best, you know? What do you think?
Old 10-25-2007, 06:31 AM
JK Freak

Default Good point, MJS

X2 on the spare issue. Pulling someone out of the mud can be fun and add a little spice to the trip, but towing them out of the woods would be a drag (literally!).
I'm all for sharing first aid kits, fire extinguishers, even my stash of Double Bubble, but asking someone to donate a spare might be a bit uncomfortable. Not to mention the fact that at least 2 of the TJ's there will be Rubicons.

Don't get me wrong, this trail is not so difficult that I expect anyone to get a flat, but that's why they call them accidents. He's got 10 days - why not grab a cheapo rim and shoe from Sullivan Tire or somewhere? It doesn't have to match, only fit. Toss it in the back if there's no carrier.

The more the merrier!

Quick Reply: Tolland MA Trail Run: November 3rd - BE THERE.