Notices
New England If you live in the New England area (Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut) and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members in your area and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Tolland MA Trail Run: November 3rd - BE THERE.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks JeepJunky - you and yours were very cool, too. I've also been around "beerfests" and IMO, lots of beer + wheeling = bad (potentially dangerous) time. Nothing wrong with beer when the wheeling's done, but yes, it's nice to keep things orderly and let the kiddies build some positive memories of Jeepin'.

Scottcarp - thanks for giving LostInMA directions. I'll add that Tolland Town Hall has a US Postal Service mailbox in front of it, on the side of the road. Driving either direction toward Town Hall, you'll likely see the USPS mailbox before you see the building. As you indicated, you're pretty likely to drive past the building the first time unless you're looking out for it and driving reasonably slow.

I'm glad to see folks joining up - this is what Jeepin' is all about: building friendships and comraderie with your fellow enthusiasts.

So - you Massachusetts wheelers have stepped up to the task at hand... where are my Connecticut people?
Old 10-15-2007, 05:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MJS_Jeep_888
Cool - the more the merrier, and we'd love to have you. Hope that your son doesn't have to work!
We are in.....boy does not have to work....or at least will get it off. We are looking forward to the trip.

We have not decided yet, either we will both come in my JK or his TJ and my JK..I think he wants to out wheel me.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:12 PM
JK Freak

Scott where outside boston are you? My girlfriend is a sr. at bc so I spend nearly every other weekend in chestnut hill. The weekend of the 3rd I will be there but have tickets to see florida state. As of now I can't say yes or no. With BC ranked 3rd in the BCS who knows if I'll be able to get out of there or more importantly get back in if it's a night game.

Edit: also just realized I have Tickets to see BC play Maine on friday night... This could make for one hell of a weekend. Hockey Friday, may be wheel in the morning leaving around 3 if its a 7pm kick off Saturday, then try not to move all Sunday only to enjoy the unforgiving ride of the Jeep for 2 1/2 hours Sunday night. God I hope this works out!

Edit 2: Levi I've never seen you post before. I love glenns Falls! I've played in the arena there many times. Ever been to poopies?

Last edited by drinkingmymilk; 10-15-2007 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:34 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by levi550
We are in.....boy does not have to work....or at least will get it off. We are looking forward to the trip.

We have not decided yet, either we will both come in my JK or his TJ and my JK..I think he wants to out wheel me.
Nice - look forward to meeting you.

If any of you know other Jeepers (forum members or not) that would have a good time, feel free to invite them!
Old 10-16-2007, 05:49 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MJS_Jeep_888
If any of you know other Jeepers (forum members or not) that would have a good time, feel free to invite them!
Let's invite some Hummers and bet on the over/under of them getting stuck!

Better yet, wait until my winch and bumper come in. I'll need some practice.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:51 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by drinkingmymilk
Scott where outside boston are you?

I live in Arlington.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:45 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by scottcarp
Let's invite some Hummers and bet on the over/under of them getting stuck!

Better yet, wait until my winch and bumper come in. I'll need some practice.

On the Tolland trail, I DO actually think that they'd get stuck (too wide for a couple sections, and breakover would probably hurt 'em on the rocks). I was going to say that people could invite ANY vehicles that wheel, but then thought better of it, because I don't want someone showing up in a lifted F350 and ripping down trees and whatnot, you know?

I think Hummers would be straight-out embarassed by the trail...
Old 10-17-2007, 03:11 AM
HEK
JK Freak

hello all, I've been reading this post since it was started but I was waiting to see what was going on my end that weekend before I posted and committed...but still I'm not 100% if I will be available to "play" ....so on that note I have a few questions as I have never been a Jeep run..
Should I swap back the rock rails and remove the side steps as I saw that there was as a section on the trail where there are rocks?...how do you guys communicate among yourselves? CB's ?...and most of all how long would you estimate this run will last as I may have to take in consideration my son's schedule which he hasn't received yet as to if it would something I can do and finally say that I took my JK off road......
Thanks and hope to make it.....
Old 10-17-2007, 04:32 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by HEK
hello all, I've been reading this post since it was started but I was waiting to see what was going on my end that weekend before I posted and committed...but still I'm not 100% if I will be available to "play" ....so on that note I have a few questions as I have never been a Jeep run..
Should I swap back the rock rails and remove the side steps as I saw that there was as a section on the trail where there are rocks?...how do you guys communicate among yourselves? CB's ?...and most of all how long would you estimate this run will last as I may have to take in consideration my son's schedule which he hasn't received yet as to if it would something I can do and finally say that I took my JK off road......
Thanks and hope to make it.....
Hi HEK. Glad that you're interesting in joining up if possible.

To answer your questions:

1) No need to remove your side steps and put back on your rock rails. I'm running a near-stock Sahara (w/ side steps) and they should barely touch the rocks, if ever. Furthermore, I've personally impacted my side steps on some pretty big rocks in the past (not on this trail - in worse conditions), and they've held up just fine - you can't even tell that they hit.

2) We communicate via gestures. The trail is one that you run slowly, maybe 5 MPH? tops in most places, so you're able to see what the guy in front of you and the guy behind you are up to. If anyone was to get stuck in anyway, you could just flash your hi beams a few times, and everyone would relay that signal through the group. I personally don't own a CB. I bring my cell phone, but am not sure if there's total coverage out there (I would assume not). In any case, while they're nice to have, CB's are not required.

3) I would expect the run to last until dark (5:30 - 6:30 end time?), although we may finish up sooner, or a subgroup may choose to leave the trail earlier than others, I suppose. Last time, if memory serves, we were out on the trail for about 6 hours give or take. At least an hour of that time was split among food/bathroom breaks. There are multiple exits from the trail, so I'm confident that if you had to leave earlier than the rest of us, we would try to accomodate you and lead you to an exit.

To allay some potential concerns (not neccesarily yours): Speaking from our past wheeling trip, I can vouch that scottcarp, JeepJunky, and their respective families are cool people. No need to worry about that at all. We're not "maniacal" wheelers - we go slow enough to safely enjoy ourselves, we respect each other, and give everyone plenty of space and guidance over obstacles. All in all, it's sure to be a fun, friendly time.

As far as the rocks go, there are a couple spots where you'll want a spotter, but after the first 1/2 hour on the trail, the lesser stuff will be a piece of cake for you.

One piece of advice for anyone attending: Gas up before you come - your off-road MPG is bound to suck (I think I averaged about 10 mpg off-road, 14 mpg overall for the tank of gas for the last wheeling trip), and you don't want to run out of gas on the trail!

If you're able to join us, please do - it'll be a great time. It looks like we're going to have a good turnout already, but I'd love to have a few more join us. IS THERE ANYBODY LURKING that wants to come along? If so, don't be shy - post up and come along for the ride!
Old 10-17-2007, 03:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by drinkingmymilk

Edit 2: Levi I've never seen you post before. I love glenns Falls! I've played in the arena there many times. Ever been to poopies?
Absolutely, I have been to poopies..... Sandy's clam bar, Dango's Irish....Poopies, Dirty John's (new way lunch), Yeah been to a few places

Quick Reply: Tolland MA Trail Run: November 3rd - BE THERE.