Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Zone 2" lift

Old 01-22-2009, 03:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude, sorry for all that you have gone through, that sucks. They are leaving the cam kit in the jeep because they had to do some "alterations" in order to fit the cams.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:03 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear you are the victim of a crappy repair shop. For a simple 2" spacer lift, it shouldn't take more than 4 hours and not require any cams or parts to "align" the Jeep. A simple 2-minute steering wheel adjustment is all you need for small lifts.

They are right about the shocks though, invest in some longer shocks or some shock extenders. If you plan on off roading, there is a possibility you will over extend the stock shocks.

I have done several small lifts on my 2 JK's and helped on other people's Jeeps. I never had to align the front end and they all rode fine.

Stick by your guns, they are just trying to bleed more money out of you.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:31 PM
JK Freak

the guy tried to make it out like the jeep would ride rough w/o the new shocks.

I don't see why it would, I haven't adjusted the spring rate any? and on road the shocks should do there job just fine?

am I missing something or are they just trying to screw me?
Old 01-22-2009, 04:34 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of shop is it? It doesn't sound like it is a 4x4 shop. The Jeep probably would be ok for street driving with stock shocks, but you should either get shock extenders from Teraflex (very cheap to buy) or longer shocks. A bad bumpy road could over extend the shock with an extra 2" of height.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:44 PM
JK Freak

it's an truck and auto parts accessory store that has a shop to install the parts they sell.
they sell lifts for trucks and have quite a few lifted trucks in the parking lot.
they also sell wheels,tires,winches,bumpers,lights.... the works.

I may go the extender route or I my just buy 3 rancho 5000's ( I have a left over from my old YJ,that I was gonna use as a SS)
but, I'm not buying anything else from this shop.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CreepJeep
it's an truck and auto parts accessory store that has a shop to install the parts they sell.
they sell lifts for trucks and have quite a few lifted trucks in the parking lot.
they also sell wheels,tires,winches,bumpers,lights.... the works.

I may go the extender route or I my just buy 3 rancho 5000's ( I have a left over from my old YJ,that I was gonna use as a SS)
but, I'm not buying anything else from this shop.
What a pain in the a$$. If you only lived closer, I would have put it on for you and saved you $150. Mine took me less than 2.5 hours with no problems with anything, align, esp, steering, nothing. Stick to your guns man.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:59 PM
JK Freak

did you use stock shocks or go with new ones right off the bat?

I can spend the money on new shocks, but I didn't want to if I really didn't have to.I though my rubi shock were suppose to be better than the basic shock.
so I wanted to use them as long as possible. ( only got 24,000 miles on them)

as far as the shop goes, if I was going to get new shocks, I at least wanted to pick them out myself and to be let known of their concerns before they installed them. ( just ranting still)

I can get 4 from zone for like 139.00 with free shipping.
suppose to be valved for my jeep and complement the lift.(anyone know if JK-forum members get a discount)
which is cheaper than the ones the shop quoted.
plus I can install those myself.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:18 PM
JK Freak

wow!!! what a hell story! so sorry you had to go through that...it took me a while to put my 3" on but it was not difficult at all....they are really just trying to bulls**t you...one big mistake they made was installing the cambolts...because that is non reversable i believe...i could be wrong but from what i've read about them everyone usually has nothing good to say about them....and for a 2" they are definately not neede IMO....i slapped everything on and it was fine......i wouldn't even pay the 150.00....again i'm really sorry you had to go through that..hope everything works out for you
Old 01-23-2009, 04:00 PM
JK Freak

I picked up my jeep today.
I got onto the bumper on each side and used my weight to rock the jeep up and down and back and forth. no squeeks or pops.

I drove home and tried to hit every bump in the road. no wobble and no pops or squeeks. although, I never did get onto the highway. I will tomorrrow to see if everything rides right and if I get any wobble.
it seem to track as straight down the road now as before the lift.

I'll prolly end up ordering some longer shocks from Zone. since everyone here seems to think I should and I don't and want to over-extend my shocks.
plus, I'll get more travel off road when flexing.

I can put them on myself and not get charged labor.

I'll get a pic up soon. it's dark out right now.

I am happy with the height and new stance of my jeep.
everything looks good and seems to be working fine.

I would like to post the name of the shop, but I'm unsure of the rules on that.
I don't want to blast them ,just let everyone know of my dealings with them.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CreepJeep
did you use stock shocks or go with new ones right off the bat?
I bought new shocks from the start. When I went to the 3 inch kit, the same shocks worked, so in the long run I would have to have bought them anyway.

Little Hint.....Paint the shocks before you put them on. With all my lift kits in the past, they seem to rust if they see moisture anywhere. I had a body shop guy do all 4 of mine maroon with 4 coats of clear for like $50 bucks. It was some paint he had left over from another vehicle. No rusty here.

Quick Reply: Zone 2" lift