Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Zip Tie Question

Old 01-27-2009, 09:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zip Tie Question

While at the local Ace looking for a more permanent solution than zip ties for stringing up the sway bar (saw the wood dowel, and working on something like that only using thin wall pipe and a metal hangar...anyway, more on that if I actually make it happen).

I went to buy some heavy duty zip ties to have on hand in case I do any wheeling in the meantime. While looking at the variety, I came across some Mil-Spec heavy duty REUSABLE zip ties. A 3 pack of 21" was $7, so they aren't cheap, but thought if they would be reusable....maybe not a bad deal. They are rated at 175 lbs which is the strongest I have seen to date.

Anyone have any experience with these good or bad? I will probably only disconnect a few times a year, but they seem to be pretty stout and I imagine using them two at a time (redundancy) would ensure if one breaks, the other would hang in there.

By the way.....has anyone posted pics on exactly where they tie off their zip ties. I think I remember seeing on where someone used a hole just in front of the drivers side coil spring by the frame to keep the bar neutral. Would love to see where you guys are tying off.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:15 AM
JK Freak

i dont use zip ties....

look for something called "velcro tape" its two sided, one side has the hooks and the other the loops. its infinitely reusable and only like $4.00 for 25ft.

just my 2 cents!
Old 01-27-2009, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks Nick.....I have some of this, but wasn't sure how it held up. Maybe I will take these back and look for that.

Where did you get it for that price? That is incredible for $4 for 25 feet.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:42 AM
JK Freak

No prob!

I don't have a pic of it in action, but I run a piece through the open bolt hole on the disco and make a few passes around the actual sway bar to hold the disco up and out of the way.

and to top it off, the velcro tape has tons of other uses... I have a 4 door and use it to secure the rear seat belts to the rear roll bar to eliminate the belt flapping, I secure my mag lite to the roll bar with it, it secures my first aid kit and shovel to the roll bar, it helps to keep the soft top secured down....

Oh, sorry about the rambling......

I'm on the mobi site so I don't know where u are, but I go to Lowe's home improvement stores. I think that's what I paid
Old 01-27-2009, 09:46 AM
JK Junkie

I use this little loop of bungie with a bungie hook. Works great and was like $3

Quick Reply: Zip Tie Question