Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Yukon gears

Old 11-30-2013, 12:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yukon gears

I'm looking to pickup Yukon gears in 456 to get my JKUS on 35s running a bit better. Has anyone done the ring and pinion swap themselves? I do all my own maintenance and don't mind the challenge I'm just curious if they are any tricks to the install?
Old 11-30-2013, 12:50 PM
JK Junkie

Its not a hard task to do just very tedious. Remember you are dealing with thousands of inches. I did it on an old chevy and I had the coast side slightly off and on decel from highway speeds would get whine. Drove it for 20k more before I sold it and guy is still driving it. Watch internet videos and read. Take your time and you'll prob be just fine
Old 11-30-2013, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

If your not familiar with things like, backlash, gear patterns and pinion pre-load you should probably pay some one experienced to do it..... It's a pretty precise job getting every thing properly shimmed and what not. I'm not an expert mechanic but I've done most stuff, engine rebuilds/swaps ECT but I always have had my gears installed by some one else that I am paying.
Old 12-28-2013, 12:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

I did mine last week. Not real fun. I've done two Mustang diffs in the past usinging the original bearings and shims so there wasn't much adjusting, just measuring to verify everything was correct. With my Jeep I changed everything so all new shims and adjustments. I followed the gear install write up in the write up forum, well written.
If you're pretty mechanically enclined and have all the tools it's doable. I did my first mustang without help just used a write up (and I'm no mechanic). Defintely teadious though.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Recently bought some Yukon 4.56 gears from 4ws.com, by far the cheapest place to get them. I had the local garage install them as I don't have the tools or patience to do it myself.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:51 AM
JK Freak

So you want to DIY re-gear? That's the route I'm taking on my 2010 JKU Sahara Auto (D30, D44) with 55,000 miles. Already got my Motive 4.88 gears and master rebuild kits. Also replacing front and rear carriers with Eaton Detroit Truetrac lockers. Best to do whatever else needs doing while the axles are apart. (lockers, sleeves, axle u-joints, ball joints)

Read this thread. A lot of good information to get you started.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...gearing-82262/

You may not have the knowledge but you can learn.
You may not have the tools but you can borrow them or buy them with the money you save.
What you do have is the "time" to make sure they are done right the first time.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would defintely build or buy (a very strong one) flange wrench to stop the yoke from spinning when crushing the sleeve. To buy one capable of holding up to the torque is over $100. I made one for like $15 out of a piece of angle iron and some hole drilled into it to bolt into the toke.

Quick Reply: Yukon gears