Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Your personal opion

Old 01-26-2016, 09:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a body lift on my daily driver 2012 Jeep Wrangler. But I want to take the spacers off and put a 3-4" suspension lift on it. My problem is I want it to be reliable on the trails, but not wobble and fishtail and walk on me on the highway. What lift should I get or should I stick with my stock suspension with body lift?
Old 01-26-2016, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

I let you know next week. Im am doing 285/75R18 toyo open country R/T tires with a zone 3" lift. Upgraded to nitro shocks, jflex lower control arms. Dual shock steering stabilizer. Adjustable trac arm in front.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:01 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,686 Posts

Originally Posted by clogan199
My problem is I want it to be reliable on the trails, but not wobble and fishtail and walk on me on the highway.
If address your caster/pinion angles, your jeep is going to drive on road just fine. It's when things aren't properly addressed that you start getting undesirable rides. The problem is there are a lot of folks that want the look of a lifted jeep but don't care to take the time to really understand the geometry behind what's going on. There are countless lifted JKs that are daily drivers that aren't a beast to drive. I'm running MC arms, RK springs, FOX shocks, with Synergy TB and tie rod and a few other odds and ends......there's nothing wrong with mixing and matching either. You also need to be willing to follow through with additional upgrades if you go down that road. Ex, if you put a 3-4" lift on it, you'd better have in your mind that you'll be replacing your front drive shaft at some point as the boot protecting the CV joint at the transfer case side is going rip and lead to failure.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by off-road arkie
I have a question for the guys that have there done that......I have a rubicon unlimited , AEV rims, 295/70r17 tires....it will be mostly a DD. Im looking for a 2.5 lift....my main concern is that it drives and rides more than off road capability.....what I would like to know is what lift yall have replaced and the one you put on out preformed the other.. ex...pulled off a OME got a Teraflex and loved it....thanks
We have two JKs (13 JKU/14 JK) both with different 2.5" lifts, long travel (~28" extended) shocks and running 315 tires. The 13 JKU has a RK 2.5" (3" real world numbers) and the 14 JK has a TF 2.5" BB. This lends to a comparison of coil lift vs poly puck lift. Ride performance/feel between the two is about even money (differing largely do to wheel base length) as both run the same long travel shocks, but the handling performance/feel goes to the RK 2.5" lift. In turns there is a bit less body roll and almost no noise dive in hard braking.

Off road, with the front sway bar disconnected the two have practically the same flex with a advantage going to the RK lift on our 13 JKU. Not so much because of the lift, but because it has an aftermarket front drive shaft which frees up some additional travel.

If I had to do it all over with the 13 JKU knowing what i know now, and it was for the most part a DD, I would go with the 2.5" TF BB and a REALLY good set of shocks. It would have saved me a ton of money for other upgrades that provide for more day to day usefulness.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:08 PM
JK Freak

first my opINion is you should proof read your posts before submitting. Besides that...

I have a AEV kit (3.5in) and drives great on roads and if you talk to Northridge and other highend shops they will normally recommend AEV for daily driven rigs.

To make it better offroad I have replaced quite a bit of suspension parts, track bars, tie bar, etc and am in the process of doing the control arms with limiting straps to increase the flex of the kit. Most of my upgrades beyond the AEV kit are for strength and durability - not for improved ride quality or function (except for control arms). AEV is expensive, but it is a really good kit. There are plenty of other good kits too and it really comes down to how you drive (aggressive or relaxed) and how much you're okay with the side effects to have better offroad performance. For instance with offroad tires, the meatier and bigger tire you get the rougher ride, higher noise and reduced response in handling you will have, but you will have better offroad performance (this statement is in general - tire for tire, changing tire manufacturers and models can have bigger effects than size).
Old 01-26-2016, 01:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Between my 2 TJs a 1997 Sport and 2004 Rubicon and my 2012 JKR and now my 2015 JKUR I've run:

Springs:
Pro Comp 2 inch f/r - 97 TJ
Teraflex 3 inch f/r - 97 TJ
OME 2 inch HD fronts - 97 TJ with JKS ACOS/04 Rubi
OME 2 inch MD rears with JKS - 97 TJ
OME 2 inch HD rears 97 TJ
OME 2 inch HD rears 04 Rubi
OME 2 inch LJ rears 04 Rubi
AEV 3 inch front - 04 Rubi
AEV 3 inch rear - 04 Rubi
AEV 2.5 inch front - 15 JKUR
AEV 2.5 inch rears - 15 JKUR
OEM 16/59 springs with Daystar 1.75 inch spacers - 12 JKR

I've run many of these set ups with various spacers ranging fro the OME trim packers to 2 inch Teraflex spacers

Shocks:
Pro Comp ES 5000 - 97 TJ
Dosctch Tech (spelling) DT 5000 (I think) - 97 TJ
OME LT - 97 TJ
Pro Comp ES 9000 - 97 TJ
OME - 04 Rubi
Bilstein 5100 - 04 Rubi
Rancho 9000X - 04 Rubi
Daystar Scorpion - 12 JKR
AEV Bilstein 5100 - 15 JKUR

Along with these various set ups I've run different track bars, and control arms, Currie anti rock on my 04 Rubi. Etc.

My Jeeps were always daily drivers/only vehicle and always driven to and from the trails, with tire sizes ranging from 30 to 35 inches.

97 TJ - 30/31/33s
04 Rubi - 31/33/35s
12 JKR - 32/33s
15 JKUR - 32/34s

Once I started using my Jeeps for longer remote overlanding type trips I would be carrying a heavy load...these type trips started in my 04 Rubi for the most part carrying through to now.

Of all my set ups, especially once I started loading the Jeeps heavily, and then using them lightly loaded for the commute my all time favorite set ups were:

AEV 3 inch f/r springs with Rancho 9000X shocks on my 04 Rubi
AEV 2.5 inch f/r springs with the AEV Bilstein 5100s and control arm brackets on my 2015 JKUR

They ride very well on the road lightly loaded and they work very well off road heavily loaded. I really like the AEV springs especially the 2.5 inch JKU lift I have now.

I'm not saying there aren't other set ups that may be great.....but these are my experiences.

I hope this helps.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:22 AM
JK Newbie

thanks grimmjpr, that was the kinda reply I was looking for , I have learned from here that there is more to a lift than just the look and hight. as much need to go into setting it up as needed. I have ordered a 2.5 AEV, CA drop bracet, OME stabilizer shock a hellwig rear sway bar. this is a start. I first went with a leveling kit, cheaper is not always better, just didn't give me what is was looking for......I have learned there is more to a lift than just raising a jeep up, if you want both on/off road performance , you have to turn a lot more "bolts".....
Old 01-27-2016, 05:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

pulled off a 3" BDS lift, and put on a 3 1/2" Metal Cloak lift.

While the Metal Cloak lift isn't bad, the BDS lift rode and handled better on the road.
Old 01-27-2016, 07:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by off-road arkie
thanks grimmjpr, that was the kinda reply I was looking for , I have learned from here that there is more to a lift than just the look and hight. as much need to go into setting it up as needed. I have ordered a 2.5 AEV, CA drop bracet, OME stabilizer shock a hellwig rear sway bar. this is a start. I first went with a leveling kit, cheaper is not always better, just didn't give me what is was looking for......I have learned there is more to a lift than just raising a jeep up, if you want both on/off road performance , you have to turn a lot more "bolts".....
I think you made a good choice......I hope it ends up being what you needed/expected.

Quick Reply: Your personal opion