Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Your personal opion

Old 01-25-2016, 02:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your personal opion

I have a question for the guys that have there done that......I have a rubicon unlimited , AEV rims, 295/70r17 tires....it will be mostly a DD. Im looking for a 2.5 lift....my main concern is that it drives and rides more than off road capability.....what I would like to know is what lift yall have replaced and the one you put on out preformed the other.. ex...pulled off a OME got a Teraflex and loved it....thanks

Last edited by off-road arkie; 01-25-2016 at 02:48 PM. Reason: added too
Old 01-25-2016, 02:45 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Pulled off a frankenlift with OME coils and shocks. Harsh ride.
Replaced with MetalCloak coils and arms and the OME shocks that they recommend.
Much better ride now!!!

But, that doesn't really mean anything since the OME "HD's" were the wrong coil for me to begin with. My jeep is nowhere near heavy enough for those coils, and if I had started with the medium or light duty, I probably would have been much happier with the ride.

Just an opinion, but you should maybe look past the glowing endorsements (or indictments) that you see and try to understand what else might be going on behind the scenes...
Old 01-25-2016, 02:53 PM
JK Newbie

thanks nthinuf, that's the kind of answers im looking for. to see who has tried something and did not approve of it, lots of stuff out there that is well marketed and don't do what it is supposed to unless I add a lot more to it.....im not in to that, I just want a rig that don't wonder all over the road ....
Old 01-25-2016, 03:04 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by off-road arkie
I just want a rig that don't wonder all over the road ....
That probably won't be because of the name stamped on the side of the box. More likely, it will be because it has (or doesn't have) the proper components for the lift height, and was installed correctly (or half-assed).

Start with the basics, read about the various components and what they do, and why they may be wanted at certain lift heights. There is a ton of personal opinion involved, so you need to figure out what is right for you - not buy just because it was right for someone else. There is a thread stuck right to the top of this modified area that might be a good place to start...
Old 01-25-2016, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by off-road arkie
I have a question for the guys that have there done that......I have a rubicon unlimited , AEV rims, 295/70r17 tires....it will be mostly a DD. Im looking for a 2.5 lift....my main concern is that it drives and rides more than off road capability.....what I would like to know is what lift yall have replaced and the one you put on out preformed the other.. ex...pulled off a OME got a Teraflex and loved it....thanks
Pulled off a BDS, put on Metal Cloak. Preferred the BDS lift.

Wasn't exactly apples to oranges. Do like the MC arms.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:53 PM
JK Newbie

I know everybody has their own opinon but I want a lift that will be a little stiff and take the curve/ sway out more than anything if you know what I mean . hear a lot about OMU. just hoping to narrow it down, they re so many lifts out there.....for me, i listen to people to who have been there and done that more than I do a pretty picture in a magazine.....
Old 01-25-2016, 03:59 PM
JK Newbie

I have the 2.5 inch AEV lift with the control arm brackets. Rides a little stiff compared to some because of the bilstein 5100s but it handles great on the road. I am very happy with it.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:41 AM
JK Junkie

Are you adding weight?
Old 01-26-2016, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Best recommendation is to find different Jeeps in your area that have various lifts and take a ride to see what you like. Ride is very subjective and what feels nice to me my be too soft for you or too rough. With that being said my 2011 JKUS is my DD and I have the EVO 3 inch plush ride coils with 35x12.5x17 Nitto Trail Grapplers on ATX Slab wheels and love the ride. Also another option for getting a softer ride is to adjust your air pressure down. I am running 28 PSI in the front and 29 PSI in the rear for optimal wear and comfort.
Old 01-26-2016, 08:35 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,686 Posts

I had a 4” ProComp lift on for last 2.5 years with the factory control arms. Along the way I upgraded shocks to FOX evolution series and recently upgraded to 3.5” RK springs and a complete set of MC arms. My 2c would be this……you can ask a lot of questions about which lift drives better vs. others, but it’s really just about having things set up properly. When you ask for opinions about lifts some people might be pointing to a lift complete with all components, some might be pointing to just shocks/springs, some might be using CA drop brackets, some might be using cam bolts, and some might be driving around with caster that is out of spec. We all have different intended uses for our rigs. While some people may really see the off road benefit of higher quality components, others might not have the necessity and can get by with less expensive parts. I don’t think it’s so much about WHICH lift as it is making sure the suspension is set up properly with the proper components. A lot of people overlook control arms when throwing something on (me included back at the time due to cost), but they really make all the difference in the world getting both the axle positioned and pinion/caster corrected, and those two things are going to effect the ride quality more than which springs and shocks you throw on there. I would submit to you that you could take an inexpensive lift with the necessary components to set caster properly and it could ride on the road better than an expensive lift that doesn’t have caster set correctly for whatever reason. That said, if you get in to aggressive offroading, you’re going to see big differences in the inexpensive lifts vs. more expensive higher quality lifts.

I'd suggest start with the best you can afford while being able to really address all the components necessary. Everything you touch will have follow through effects to other components.

Quick Reply: Your personal opion