Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Your $10,000 Modified Advice

Old 11-28-2021, 04:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Your $10,000 Modified Advice

Hey guys, I am hoping some of you could offer me some advice. I am a custom truck builder that within the past few years has also started building some custom Jeeps. By custom, I do not mean adding some aftermarket parts and calling it custom, custom as in newly fabricated (unique) parts and engines normally of the 392 / 426 Supercharged type. My style has been labeled futuristic by most and I realize there are lots of traditional Jeepers, and some that are very not fond of that style, but I like to push boundaries. That said, this thread is really not about me, its about the advice you could possibly offer me!

If you were going to purchase the Jeep of your dreams, what $5,000 - 10,000 aftermarket part(s) would you really want to already see on it? Is there a part or parts you would almost insist be on the Jeep? Maybe there is $50,000 worth of parts you want to see on it. Well feel free to name them! I realize if I ask 10 different people, I likely get 10 different answers, but that is kind of the point. When I build these Jeeps I have only my own opinions to go by, and they are not for me, so I am hoping to incorporate some parts that have not crossed my mind in my current or upcoming builds.

I really appreciate your time and opinions.
-Jonathan
Old 11-29-2021, 03:52 AM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Dream Jeep? That's easy - Genright Elite suspension with 3" coil overs (for a JKU). For a newer JLU it would be the Genright Extreme with 3" coil overs. Much more than 10K. More like your 50K mark if you install everything.
Old 11-29-2021, 11:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jmaybes
Hey guys, I am hoping some of you could offer me some advice. I am a custom truck builder that within the past few years has also started building some custom Jeeps. By custom, I do not mean adding some aftermarket parts and calling it custom, custom as in newly fabricated (unique) parts and engines normally of the 392 / 426 Supercharged type. My style has been labeled futuristic by most and I realize there are lots of traditional Jeepers, and some that are very not fond of that style, but I like to push boundaries. That said, this thread is really not about me, its about the advice you could possibly offer me!

If you were going to purchase the Jeep of your dreams, what $5,000 - 10,000 aftermarket part(s) would you really want to already see on it? Is there a part or parts you would almost insist be on the Jeep? Maybe there is $50,000 worth of parts you want to see on it. Well feel free to name them! I realize if I ask 10 different people, I likely get 10 different answers, but that is kind of the point. When I build these Jeeps I have only my own opinions to go by, and they are not for me, so I am hoping to incorporate some parts that have not crossed my mind in my current or upcoming builds.

I really appreciate your time and opinions.
-Jonathan
This is a very tough one to answer. My local Jeep shop has "packages" similar to what I think you are going for, but they are all bling wheels, lifts for mall crawlers, for looks, and do almost nothing for building a Wrangler for off-road use. He found a market for the city wheelers and is doing well with it. Most Jeepers will never see more than the beach or a dirt road. On the flip side, he knows what to build for people that use their Jeeps off-road, but that tends to be very custom.

Hmm, maybe something like this.

Trail built >$10k
Teraflex or Metalcloak lift (2.5 - 3.5"), 17" wheels, 37" tires, D44 front replacement for non-Rubi, 4.88 gears with options for lunch box or E-lockers for non-Rubi, sliders, engine/tranny skid, bumpers with tire carrier, winch.

Mild Trail build (economical sport models)
Rancho 2" sport lift with 9000s, wheel spacers and 33's for stock wheels, winch and mounting plate, sliders, engine/tranny skid

City build (most of what is running around in my area)
2.5" spacer lift, 20"+ wheels, 35's, graphics wrap, exhaust and cold air intake, undercarriage neon lights, bumpers, steps

The possibilities and opinions are endless...
Old 11-29-2021, 01:40 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 210 Likes on 189 Posts

Sounds like you're building for a potential future buyer, so my 2 cents is to use a good portion of that 10K to write a manual, an addendum to the (included) OEM FSM, that documents all the changes, troubleshooting, parts lists, maintenance procedures, wiring diagrams, etc. Also include software/hardware tools for troubleshooting (e.g. HPTuners, JScan, etc.).

A problem with Jeeps modded by others is that the new owner is faced with eventual maintenance headaches trying to find someone that can troubleshoot and repair a highly modified custom electronic wonder. And it only gets worse as time goes by, especially if/when the builder is no longer available.
The following users liked this post:
Jay2013jk (12-01-2021)
Old 12-01-2021, 03:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$10K? That was many, many K ago. LOL
Old 12-03-2021, 06:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

Hummmm -

Atlas 4 Speed
Regear + ARB Lockers
Front & Rear Bumpers
Winch

You may have to look for a little extra change under the sofa cushions - but yer Jeep is gonna be capable !

Neville
Old 12-06-2021, 05:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you refering to Americas Most Wanted 4x4
Old 12-06-2021, 07:33 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

axles would be the #1 on the list but you are not going to do that for $10k. Atlas, coilovers, power assist steering, proper cage and suspension seats, no electronics.

Quick Reply: Your $10,000 Modified Advice