Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

You guys bought all the 35" Duratracs....ughhhh

Old 01-24-2012, 01:42 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X2

Originally Posted by wayoflife
have you ever considered running a nitto trail grappler instead? personally, i think it's a better tire
X2 Love these tires!
Old 01-24-2012, 02:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would prefer to run Nitto Trail Grapplers but my tires need to handle on road packed down snow and ice as my JK is my DD. From what I've heard, the Duratracs are awesome in the snow. Anyone have any on road snow/ice experience with the Nittos?
Old 01-24-2012, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I got a set of 5 16s from Discount Tire 2 weeks ago. They came in 3 days.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:09 PM
JK Freak

Don't Nitto tires (and Toyo for that matter) tend to be heavy tires? I know Duratracs are on the lighter side for the size. The Duratracs do tend to clog in mud where the Trail Grappler would clean better. We don't get much snow around here, but on the two trips I've taken while running Duratracs in snow and ice, they were pretty awesome. I've got around 25k miles on mine and they'll go for another 25k.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i need to replace my wifes tj tires and i still dont know nittos or duratracs lol
Old 01-24-2012, 03:32 PM
JK Newbie

Might wanna take a good look at the Falken wildpeak or rocky mountain ...same tires very quiet and work well in the snow.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

How true to size do the Trail Grapplers run?
Old 01-24-2012, 05:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bluejk09
I would prefer to run Nitto Trail Grapplers but my tires need to handle on road packed down snow and ice as my JK is my DD. From what I've heard, the Duratracs are awesome in the snow. Anyone have any on road snow/ice experience with the Nittos?
This was my deciding factor on not going with trail grapplers. I have two friends running them and I really want to run them as well. But they have a 3 season tire and a winter tire.. I can only afford to run one set.. I have the duratracs and love them. I agree with the comments that nittos are more durable and better to balance. I have a lot of lead on my rims and both my friends combined have less lead on 10 tires than i have on my 5. I would purchase my DT's again, but if I can pull it off I will have nittos in 37 next..
Old 01-24-2012, 06:14 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a set of Nitto TG on my 2010 and the tread life did not appear to be up to par. I sold them with 10k on them and I don't think they would ahve made it to 30k. The Duratracs have great tread life as Johnyquik mentions above. i ahve seen his tires and he is not to half tread yet after 25k miles. I run KM2s and love them. They are on par with the TG off road, are lighter than the TG, ahve better tread wear and are quieter on the road. I say all of this from running both sets for about 10k each in the last year.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by mjones

This was my deciding factor on not going with trail grapplers. I have two friends running them and I really want to run them as well. But they have a 3 season tire and a winter tire.. I can only afford to run one set.. I have the duratracs and love them. I agree with the comments that nittos are more durable and better to balance. I have a lot of lead on my rims and both my friends combined have less lead on 10 tires than i have on my 5. I would purchase my DT's again, but if I can pull it off I will have nittos in 37 next..
My trail grapplers did fine in the snow and ice last year. Haven't had much snow this year to try them out in those conditions a little more

Quick Reply: You guys bought all the 35" Duratracs....ughhhh